• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2 element Yagi Vs Moxon or Delta Loop for DX

26EK023

Feb 3, 2023
Hello Guys,

I'm doing "reasonably" well using a Sirio 2016 with the base only 6M from the ground, however, I'm looking for something better.

I've recently purchased a 12M telescopic Aluminium mast, and I'm looking at investing in something better for DX purposes that's not too substantial in terms of size.

At present, I've got my eye on a 2 element Yagi, 1 element Delta Loop, and a Moxon.

Here is what the Antenna will be mounted to, and it will be retracted when not in use so the mast isn't permanently bearing the weight of the Antenna: - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26583044...d=link&campid=5336136228&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

In summary, the mast has a 2mm wall, extends to 12M, and the upper section is nearly 1.25" diameter.

Thoughts please?

Many thanks.

Whatever you put on top .... I would definitely use Guy Lines at least at the top of the mast below the antenna to hold that thing up. Aluminum will bend over in a strong wind. 3 Guy Lines of non-conductive rope like Dacron (parachute cord) 120 degrees part should hold it up. Good luck with the project !

Reactions: 26EK023
1.25 on top is good for wire antenna support, not to put Yagi on.
Mike
Very true.
-----
When doing antennas, think of the different bands you use, or might be using, in the future. A yagi will work for one band unless it's designed and tested to be a multibander, like most ham yagis are (20/15/10 meters; will work well on all three bands if properly installed and adjusted.

Reactions: 26EK023
This is what I'd be planning on attaching to the mast. I've been told it weighs 2.5Kg - https://www.superyagi.com/2_Element_Yagi_11_metres/p1798397_17778287.aspx

I would probably attach it to the section before the top, around 30ft high, so would imagine it will be fine.

The mast will be retracted in even a slight breeze, so I have no intention using it in windy weather.

What do you think?
Most antenna spec sheets include a calculation of the number of square feet each antenna occupies in the air when sitting on the tower or mast, and how much wind it's rated for at specific heights/guying arrangements, etc. Didn't see any such information on this antenna.

Reactions: jkp1 and 26EK023

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.