1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

2 meter beam questions

Discussion in 'Home Brew' started by Broke Spoke, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Broke Spoke

Broke Spoke KN4JQP

I have an HT radio and all the local repeaters are 16+ miles away. I am looking into making a 2 meter beam. I have an old M400 starduster antenna that I could use. Would this antenna be sufficient to use to make an beam? And, could anyone give me suggestions on proper matching system for the beam? Thanks in advance guys.

2. Tallman

Tallman W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

Keep the M400 as is and buy this: http://www.dnjradio.com//product_in...d=251&osCsid=a7f57fd62783789d147889aa84bfdce0
    I have one and it is an exceptional antenna. My 6 meter beam is going to be mounted below it on the rotating mast. The M400 can make a really good Six meter ground plane and works good for Ten M.
    Congrats on the Technician License! Go for that General soon.

#2 Tallman, Feb 18, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  3. Robb

Robb Yup

The tubing used for the starduster is too thick to do a beam right for 2m - IIRC. You could use coat hanger wire for the elements and a piece of 1/2" copper tubing for the beam and work as well as a storebought antenna. Been there . . .

Broke Spoke and Tallman like this.
  4. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Sr. Member

Make a little 1/4 wave and hang it from your ceiling or up in the attic. Should be all you need.

5. BJ radionut

BJ radionut Supporting Member

Broke Spoke likes this.
  6. Broke Spoke

Broke Spoke KN4JQP

7. w9cll

w9cll W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Broke Spoke likes this.
  8. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

Too thick? (n) What do you mean? I have used Sinclair commercial VHF yagis and the elements are about three times as thick as regular copper pipe and about 5/8 inches in diameter and the booms were 1.5 inches in diameter. They worked beautifully. I have made many 2m beams using 1/2 inch copper pipe for the elements.

ShadeTreeMechanic likes this.
  9. Tallman

Remember he has a handitalkie not a full size two meter rig.

10. w9cll

And a Jpole will work as well as the antenna I linked to. Make a Jpole out of 300ohm twin lead. Made one years ago, always had it with me when I traveled for business. Hang it in the hotel room and work the local repeaters.

#11 w9cll, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    Broke Spoke likes this.
  11. Tallman

With a HT at 16+ miles?

12. w9cll

Yes if you can get it high enough. I easily work into the 440 machine here and the recieve site is 17.5 miles from my home. This is using the a Smiley 5/8 rubber duck.

13. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

Could be. I can use my old Kenwood TH-G71A HT on 5 watts and with the stock duckie I can work the VE1OM repeater 24 miles away. I am a bit noisy but that noise is completely gone with almost any antenna other than the duckie. Full quieting with a mobile antenna in my driveway and I basically live in a hole. I can break squelch on another repeater that is 17 miles away but it's not really workable with 5 watts and the duckie but there is a really high piece of land in the middle of the path.

14. HomerBB

HomerBB Sr. Member

I made one of those arrow 2m/70cm jpoles last week. Seems to work just fine. Pretty easy.
    A piece of angle 6" long, less than 6' of all thread rod, and a cut down whip antenna.
    20180209_082201-01.jpg