• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2000 cobra

Jerry,

In reading through the thread, i haven't seen anyone ask you about the mic input of your 2000GTL.

so i will go through a couple of things to check, and they may be things that seem elementary, but we need to eliminate all the possibilities, so bare with me.

your 2000GTL will not have any receive audio if there is not a microphone connected.
you may be able to hear a tiny amount of audio with the control turned all the way up, but it will be too low to make anything out.

so, if you are now direct injected, then you still need a mic on the radio in order to key it, and to have receive audio.

if you do have a microphone connected to the radio and still don't have receive audio, then it is possible that the mic is mis-wired.

to test this, remove the mic from the radio, and get a short piece of wire that is stripped at both ends.

here is a pic of the jack on the front of your radio:

PP2017-5-pin-microphone-chassis-male-connectorImageMain-300.jpg

Pin 1 is lower left. = audio wire
pin 2 is just above it = audio shield wire
pin 3 is on top = receive wire
pin 4 is next to the right = RX/TX common wire (this is a ground wire used for switching from receive to transmit)
pin 5 is bottom right = transmit wire.

since your radio is direct injected, you don't need the audio or shield wires.
you just need to wire a mic with pins 3 4 and 5 soldered on.

the way to check your mic wiring is to use your jumper wire with the radio on, no mic connected, and jump pin 3 to pin 4 and see if that gives you receive audio.

if it does, then your problem is in your mic.
if it does not, then your problem is inside the radio.

please check these things and post back.
LC

Jerry,
I just want to make sure you understand me correctly.

I didn't mean for you to connect pins 3 4 and 5 together, i meant you only need to put wires on those three pins.
your microphone will have the receive line connected to the ground wire while in receive mode, and when you push the mic button, it will disconnect the receive line from the ground line and connect the transmit wire to the ground wire.

so to check if your radio is the problem or if the mic is the problem, jump pins 3 and 4 together on the mic jack on the radio,

if you were to connect pins 4 and 5 together, your radio would go into transmit mode.

just wanted to avoid confusion.
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.