• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2000 Watt Amp Kit for 27Mhz....

LMDOS: Rugged for high SWR, very fragile to being over-driven. Requires 52v. Not for me.
While all of that is true, we should keep in mind that LDMOS is reliable enough to be used in many commercial broadcast transmitters sold today with good results. As you know, the key is to not overdrive them.

When the proper attenuator is selected for the exciter in use, you can pretty much eliminate the overdrive problem. The assumption that you can just cut the drive control back on the rig, is where most people run into problems. Things like ALC overshoot, will put LDMOS at risk when there is not enough attenuation being used.

Reactions: NZ8N and 86lidewell
Agreed, but not for me. Maybe the ham rigs have the power supply and the protection...
I looked into LMDOS last year.

https://vijovame.com/

Initially I was going to get one.
Beware of purchasing any solid state base HF amp that uses an internal power supply. Ask the manufacturer about parts availability on the switch mode supply before purchase. You may find out what many Icom owners did and that a custom $5 power supply component will cost $2,500 to replace the entire switch mode supply!

Oddly enough most of the "aftermarket" base units being sold are using common, easy to replace or repair supplies like the "Mega Watt" ones. It is the name brands that like to farm their "custom" power supplies out to third parties, that will not offer replacement parts when needed.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.