• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

20m moxon... Ok now I have decided...

mr_fx

Oct 8, 2011
Kansas City
Ok I am going with the moxon FOR sure

BUT... I don't have much extra cash to spend on the spreaders... I was thinking about using PVC 3/4" sch 40 and THEN putting the mast above the boom 2 or 3 feet and guying the PVC spreaders to the mast (above the boom)

I had considered going to 1" PVC, but they weigh a good deal more... I am not really too excited about buying 4 matching 20 foot long crappie poles at $25 a pop... not if PVC can be used at $1.74 a 10 foot stick

screw it I think I will build it this week end... should work just fine

besides it's only a temporARY THING... it will be replaced by something bigger and better at a later date, then this will become a field day / sota beam

How hot does it get when the sun shines on it? That's the heat I am talking about. I have seen some pvc bend right over in the afternoon sun. The gray stuff is better than the black stuf but just saying.

Not nearly so bad, When someone says pvc tubing the first thing I tend to think of is the black stuff.It will draw the heat very well and soften and bend easily. The white or the grey electrical conduit would be my choice if I were using something like that. Just make sure and support it well. I would use wooden dowel inserts for a foot or two at the hub.

OK Reality check here. I was not thinking right when I was talking about using black pvc.Night shifts will do that to you. Black pvc does not come in 10 foot lengths. It comes in long roils and is typically used as water pipe. PVC comes in white or gray. ABS comes in 10 foot lengths. One more night shift to go and then vacation. :w00t:

you could always throw wooden dowels in the pvc pipe, then cap off the ends to keep the wood from rotting.

For my 2m slim Jim mast/mast isolator I used 1/2" pvc and sanded a dowel to the id of the pipe, then i capped both ends and painted it with non metallic paint. It's not perfect, and does bend with the whole slim Jim working as a lever, but I haven't had any issues and don't think I will. This should work perfect at 1/2" or 3/4" for your moxon.

Not nearly so bad, When someone says pvc tubing the first thing I tend to think of is the black stuff.It will draw the heat very well and soften and bend easily. The white or the grey electrical conduit would be my choice if I were using something like that. Just make sure and support it well. I would use wooden dowel inserts for a foot or two at the hub.

I was planning to use 4 or 5 foot wood dowels screwed into the pvc for support... that is what I built my 4 element 2 meter quad out of...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.