1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Announcements & Open Forum' started by dave457, Nov 14, 2014.

1. dave457

dave457 Sr. Member

Can Anyboby ID this radio station, seems to coming out of San Loraedo TX
    but logged different call letters on the breaks: KLZE,WQPY and KLVE all
    on the same station and I'm sure there are more

2. n8fgb

n8fgb Well-Known Member

Some AM broadcast stations use FM remote links in that frequency range.
    Rich

3. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

They are called STL's short for studio-transmitter link. Most everything is on VHF/UHF or T1 data lines but there are some older stations grandfathered on the 25-26 MHz band.They use FM mode and carry program content from the studios to the transmitter site.

4. IMD262

IMD262 Well-Known Member

STLs are illegal to monitor but some stations will confirm reception reports with a QSL card.

5. Captain Kilowatt

Staff Member

HUNH??!! Illegal to listen too? Got proof? They carry the same content that is meant for broadcast to the general population. Why would it be illegal to listen too? Most of them are carried on regular VHF/UHF frequencies that you can pick up on a scanner although some have gone to 960 MHz or 1.7 GHz and are digital. I thought the only radio comms illegal to monitor were cellular phones.

6. IMD262

IMD262 Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's probably different Up in Canada but that was included in the ECPA of 1986 ... if you want proof, I'll dig it up.

7. Captain Kilowatt

Staff Member

I was just shocked to even entertain the idea that it would have been illegal to monitor something whose content was meant for the general public in the first place. My "Got proof?" comment was just a reflection of that shock. I'll check out the ECPA 1986 version. I know it is illegal to monitor an FM stations SCA unless you have authorization but that is a different thing as it is often used to carry separate subscription programming or control functions.

8. undertaker

undertaker Undertaker

I think you mean Laredo Texas..