• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2510 delay on power up

tvrc18

May 1, 2011
What might cause my 2510 to delay when turning on? I went to turn it on the other day and it took about 5 seconds before it powerd on. It only did it that one time but must be a cap or something fixing to go bad.

You might check the electrolytic caps in the power supply section.
Has it sat for a long time? You might want to replace those as they do dry out eventually.
My 2510 did something strange one time. I let it set for about 5 years, took it out of the closet, hooked it up and the transmit and receive worked fine but no display! I took it apart and checked everything, could find nothing wrong so I put it back together and left it on the rest of the day. I tried to find a display to no avail so I put it back in the closet.
About a year later, I took it out, hooked it up and BINGO!!! it worked fine!! Go figure, I gave it to my brother and it works great. It wasn't a problem with my power supply as I even plugged it into a working mobile in my car and everything except the display worked!
The only thing I can figure is the power kind of 'rejuvenated' the caps and a LCD! I told my brother to turn it on once in awhile and he has had no further issues!
I have been into electronics since I was a kid in the 1960's but electronics still do what it damn well wants to even if it defies logic, LOL!!!:love:
I wouldn't wory about it unless it gets worse!
Let us know what you find.

I replaced 2 caps on the processor board that are part of the start up delay, they are in the left corner of the board, both electrolytic. Later I found my fuse holder on the power cord was broken, I think that was the problem all the time and not the caps. I have replaced a dozen or so caps in it over the last couple of years just for good measure.

Sounds like you nailed it.. good idea replacing electrolytic caps as you get the chance.
A radio seems to last longer when it is used often (and not stored away) and filter caps are replaced like every 5 years.
73's

i have a 2510 that after you turn it on the back light of the display comes on but it takes a few seconds for the numbers to show. also i have to turn the volume knob all the way up to hear anything from my speaker it's very low and i have tried running different speakers with the same result.

i have a 2510 that after you turn it on the back light of the display comes on but it takes a few seconds for the numbers to show. also i have to turn the volume knob all the way up to hear anything from my speaker it's very low and i have tried running different speakers with the same result.

I have one that do the same thing... When turned on, the display light comes on but the freq. readout and the other indicators won't come on until about 4 secs. If the radio is left off for a week or more, then the readout won't come on for 5 minutes or more !!!! Have anyone found the cure to this ??

The 2 caps behind the processor chip near ic314 I think it is. One is a .1 and the other is a 2.2 micro-farad. Change them out and it should fix your issue.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.