• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2510 meter light rubber mount.

Hmm...Found something kinda interesting regarding the "Grain of wheat" lamps - their filament resistance when cold, plays a role in how much heat and the lifetime hours the lamp survives being cooped up in that housing with a grommet for a blanket.

If you know the voltage, being 8 volts, several types of bulbs than can play the role in replacement and in some cases will last as long, if not longer than, the radio it went in.

Don't be afraid to use a bigger bulb - same voltage, but you know you can unsolder the glass from the base, and you'll have a grain of corn, not wheat - size bulb if you need to replace the original with something - you just don't always have the SIZE to work with, so use something that the voltage and filament ratings are similar IF anything - a higher rated voltage (say 10 V rated) pay attention to the filaments resistance.

Most are 0.2 to as high a 1.15 ohms - the "voltage" part comes in as a current to resistance when the filament heats up. The higher the voltage, does not always equate to a higher lifetime rating - the filament takes in a specific current rating in amps - per volt - to light up. The circuit the bulb in a flashlight uses, works because the filament takes in current at a specific resistance rate and the current the batteries produce - stabilizes at a given point
  • it's why they use a Grain of wheat lamp, the current thru the filament is small because of the type of filament used is also light and very thin - even thinner than a typical flashlight bulb.
  • thumbnail_l.jpeg
So as you look for options - a simple PR20 bulb unsoldered from the base, can provide the needed lamp - just not the easiest to fit in there. Due to it's size.

Yes, you may need to rewire the bulb to a spot on the main PCB to obtain 12 volts and route it thru a resistor to offset the intake current draw - the Grain of wheat in there was more for 6V and lasted as long as it did because of the filaments resistance was higher than most standard grain of wheat types.

Even the use of a "bi-pin" push in bulb can work, just use a dropping resistor of say, 10 ~22 ohms to help drop some of the voltage thru the resistor side before it hits the bulb - then you can use a simpler flashlight bulb to work where the grain of wheat was - just don't overdo it.

The way you pointed the green light down looks absolutely perfect to me. There are no bright rings in the center. The color is perfectly uniform.

I like the looks of what this guy did to his 2510 display.

I like this different approach also, but he failed to show the point where he disconnected the LCD power to disable the black. Power is required to make the digits black by default, otherwise the back-light will shine through the LCD. It would be nice to see a photo of that disconnection point, but I’m not tearing down mine at this time to find out. By looking at the schematic it shouldn't be that difficult to find.

Reactions: Low_Boy and TIN_CAN
I like this different approach also, but he failed to show the point where he disconnected the LCD power to disable the black. Power is required to make the digits black by default, otherwise the back-light will shine through the LCD. It would be nice to see a photo of that disconnection point, but I’m not tearing down mine at this time to find out. By looking at the schematic it shouldn't be that difficult to find.
Oh I always wondered how that was done. I do think it looks good.

I put a 500 ohm trimmer risistor in line with the led. I bolted it through an existing hole in the chassis. Now i can tame the lights a touch. So it goes 8v through 0-500 ohm 1 watt trimmer then each led has its own 270 ohm resistor. Ive got it set somewhere in the middle.

Attachments

• D3CB8AE6-5463-47C5-918E-FE5412CC40E4.jpeg
    D3CB8AE6-5463-47C5-918E-FE5412CC40E4.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11
  • 972DB8AB-3884-4A6F-8D30-3424D3B1AB34.jpeg
    972DB8AB-3884-4A6F-8D30-3424D3B1AB34.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 12
Good to go I’d say! Also, to reduce brightness I sometimes wire 2 LED’s in series. I did that behind my Alinco LCD to reduce the bulk. Having 2 less wires to feed in a very confined space worked great in that particular case.

He reversed the diffuser layer of the LCD display like they did here at
https://www.transmission1.net/viewtopic.php?t=42488

Here is another application
https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/fo.../leds/30618-diy-how-to-reverse-polarize-a-lcd - look on page 2 for what it looks like after

Last edited:
He reversed the diffuser layer of the LCD display like they did here at
https://www.transmission1.net/viewtopic.php?t=42488

Here is another application
https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/fo.../leds/30618-diy-how-to-reverse-polarize-a-lcd - look on page 2 for what it looks like after
Thanks for those very informative links. I heard somewhere that this was done by some voltage removal. I stand corrected. I copied all that info down to place in my archives for future reference. That’s something I won’t be trying on any of my prized gear, but possibly experiment on one of the cheap LCD compact CB’s in the future.

So the way I am understanding this and I may be wrong. And this is on a HR2501 that I am talking about. The white backing paper is removed and I believe this defuser layer is put in in the place of the white paper.

I see MR X Cb shop do this on HR2510 and also 2959 Radios.

You carefully remove the old plastic Diffuser layer from on the top of the LCD glass, this makes the whole LCD screen blank. You then get a new sheet from

http://www.polarization.com/polarsh...id=29&osCsid=9188b484a4088fc7d3606c744457f4c5 ,

turn the sheet sideways (90 degrees) until it reverses the from black letters on white to white on black, cut a piece off of the new sheet to fit the LCD glass, and stick it.

on a motorcycle gauge cluster

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated