• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2950 + Fatboy 3 pill = Sqealllll. Help!

15minigrass

Oct 30, 2006
Got a Fatboy amp yesterday, worked fine. But when I key up the 2950 1 watt dk its fine w/amp on as soon as I modulate, the radio squeels. with amp off the radio is fine. this happens on SSB and AM.
The amp has SSB.

But when I plug in the S3, no problem. She works like a champ. Wish I hadnt sold the S3.

So dont know whats going on. I did the NPC mod to it just to use with that amp. And get this it only squeels with this amp. I plugged it into a Palomar 250, no squeel, Palomar 100 no squeel.

Two words "GROSS DISTORTION" Raise the deadkey to a useable amount "2.5-4 watts and remove the splatter mod. The reason your squealing is because the second and third harmonics are so high, they are meeting the input impedance of the amp and are being sent directly back to the radio. You can't count on the radios internal swr circuit because it was never designed to handle or "sense" that high of a frequency. Sorry for the ugly truth.

there absolutly right
those mods =splatter,cochannel,
there are pods inside to properly tune that radio for both
am an ssb modes low/high power adjustments for both modes
and a modulation control so theres plenty of stuff to tune
it the right way.sorry but like eariler posts its the truth
cbtricks.com has all the info youll ever need

Either lower your swing alot or raise the carrier... your getting amp squeel. Personally, I go for a little more carrier out of my amp than whats normally talked about on this forum. The way I figure it, ... if I'm getting more range from the carrier, my audio doesn't need to be so loud.
There is a few guys in town that run similar amps and I can get way more range from my set up than they can getting lots of swing out of their amp.

There usually is alot of oposition to running more carrier. But it will cure the problem and its a quick fix

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.