• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2970 N2 & D104

Redbeard U812

WDX-1030 / U812 South Texas
Jul 14, 2018
Has anyone run a N2 with a D104? Would this be a good microphone with the N2? Should I change the mic element and add resistor to amp board in base of mic? Pro's? Cons? Ideas?

I tried a 104 on a 2950dx years ago and didnt like it, but I didnt modify it either. I went back to the realistic 21-1173 desk mic.

Reactions: Slowmover
If you are running mostly AM then its a good match if you're a Sidebander then not so great. I know a lot of people will say the 104 sounds good on SSB but it really does not. If you run SSB try to find a 1104c or Super Sidekick. There may be newer mic's that are good on SSB but I am not familiar with them.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
If you are running mostly AM then its a good match if you're a Sidebander then not so great. I know a lot of people will say the 104 sounds good on SSB but it really does not. If you run SSB try to find a 1104c or Super Sidekick. There may be newer mic's that are good on SSB but I am not familiar with them.
Have a Sure 444 sitting around. The N2 was tunned with an RK56. Haven't gotten radio out of box yet. I will if I ever get that L2 up, this Chinese Virus has really put me in prepper mode. Garden needs get put in first.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
If you are running mostly AM then its a good match if you're a Sidebander then not so great. I know a lot of people will say the 104 sounds good on SSB but it really does not.

I tend to agree, but it’s not really a D104 anymore if he changes the element. That, I believe, would sound great.

Can always get skrewdriver at Bells to wire up an MFJ-299 for ya.
Awe gawd no.....limited space. Camper creature here, you know the type.;) Have official T shirt, "Mess with me, and you mess with the whole trailer park". Daddy got me that one bout 10 year ago when they came down. Think it was at Fins RV and restaurant there in Port A, right after you git off ferry.

Besides, I do my own wiring on microphones. Easy enough for a Welder with his brains bashed in.

Reactions: Slowmover

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.