• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2970 n2. Tech recommended

Staybolt

Mar 20, 2013
One of my friends got a 2970 n2 that had the receiver knocked out and he needs a good tech that wont soak him aa he is disabled. The one i go to wont work on them.

SMT radios are getting hard to find some one that will work on them. I know my buddy with a shop here in Oklahoma only works on one that has a final problem. most just do not want to start stocking SMT parts plus they are so small and all the old techs just do not have the patience to work on them. the company that made them might be the best choice.

SMT radios are getting hard to find some one that will work on them. I know my buddy with a shop here in Oklahoma only works on one that has a final problem. most just do not want to start stocking SMT parts plus they are so small and all the old techs just do not have the patience to work on them. the company that made them might be the best choice.
None of the guys around here will even look at them because they are all old guys. It next near impossible to find a younger guy thats a tech as 95% of the techs out there are old boomers.

I copy that Staybolt. I am 67 now and do not want to even work on one I have bought for myself with SMT. depends on what is wrong with it. I even bought a microscope to see the parts easier and my hands are not steady enough to do smt parts now. using it to blow the image up on my computer makes it easy to see the parts but way to small for my hands now.. all the techs in my area are either retired now or still working on radios and all are in my age group. no young new guy's want to work on radios since not enough work to make a living doing this.

I copy that Staybolt. I am 67 now and do not want to even work on one I have bought for myself with SMT. depends on what is wrong with it. I even bought a microscope to see the parts easier and my hands are not steady enough to do smt parts now. using it to blow the image up on my computer makes it easy to see the parts but way to small for my hands now.. all the techs in my area are either retired now or still working on radios and all are in my age group. no young new guy's want to work on radios since not enough work to make a living doing this.

Post up that scope, I wanna see it. Where’d you get it at?

its just a microscope and you can hook it to a laptop or desktop computer and it will blow up the parts by about 500x. you can even hold it in your hand and move it around to look at the solder joints. I only paid about 6.00 for mine a few years ago and was just looking and China has them marked up now about the same price as buying it from the US. those sellers from China have marked every thing up so much now they are trying to get what they sell for in the US. I remember buying freq counters to make you own for about 3.00 each and now they are over 10.00 now. they are getting higher every year.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?