• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2m/440 rig opinions.

EDUK8TR

Yeah I know I can read the reviews at sites like eham, but I just wanted to get some opinions from you guys. My reason for asking is that I want a dual band radio to use on base. Something reasonably priced(not over $200),used maybe, that I can hit the local repeaters with. I really like my IC706MKIIG in the PU, but since I already have an HF rig in the shack, I wanted something to use on base.

thanks!

I only know the new rigs...my .02 for that

FT-7800 for basic dual-band, just a bit over budget, but brand new at that.

FT-8800 for dual-band with crossband repeat and dual-receive quite a bit more, but quite a bit more radio too.

For base use and a bit nicer display, the Kenwood 700 or 710 would be excellent too, they have all the bells and whistles.

They are over your budget, but would be worthwhile and all could be very easily sold for most of their new value as they are all popular.

Have you considered the most awesome Kenwood TH-F6A?

With repeaters, the stock antenna may or may not limit you, and you could find that an antenna such as the Diamond SRH320A, will do the trick.

This will be a $325 investment (if you buy new) before upgrading your antenna....upgrading your antenna will be an option.

I personally, totally enjoy the Kenwood TH-F6A - and, would recommend picking up one at either HRO, Gigaparts, or used on ebay.

EDUK8TR,
Best advice, and the hardest to do, is to get your hands on it (whatever -it- is) and see how you like looking at the thing, how easy it is to operate, etc, etc.
I've found that I like a Kenwood TMv-708 both mobile and fixed. It has some disadvantages, but show me anything that doesn't (that I can afford! And naturally, since I like it, they're gonna quit making it.).
Bigger is better! As in the display and knobs, both fixed AND mobile. Also found that I have a 'mind-set' geared towards Kenwood stuff, just seems easier to change things. I'll never understand Yaesu's way of doing things :)...
- 'Doc

(Besides, what can you say about something that has "AES" in the middle of it?)

I have a Kenwood TM-G707 and it is a really good working radio if you do not need to have both bands up at the same time. A local ham in my area has had a G707 for about 8 years in virtually daily use and it has held up very well considering that about 6 years ago, he had inadvertantly ran a 3:1 SWR into it for about 3 months (again with daily use) and there were absolutely no ill effects. the G707 would be an excellent rig to consider if you are looking for something used in the $200 range.

I wish I could say the same thing for the Kenwood TM-V7A (blue face) rig. I own 2 of them...one since new and the second came from a local ham when it was about 1 year old. The rig itself works pretty decent, but the displays go bad after about 5 to 7 years (with mine). One of my V7's the display is completely unreadable, and the other is starting to go bad.

73 & good luck!
Jim

:D well i have my ft-8800 just put it back in the mobile until i get my hi-q antenna installed for the ic7000. i had it in house anticipating installing the the other. It is 4 plus years old and never had a problem with it, occasional intermod issues in high rf areas but adjusting the SQ. usually took care of it. easy to program the remote cable is easy to make yourself. The only thing i doen't like about it mobile is the function keys are not backlit.

I like my FT-5200, especially the dual receiver that lets you scan both bands at the same time!!!

You won't need a lot of power if you use a high gain antenna.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.