• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2m beams quad vs yagi

no not yet . i looked at their site and didnt even see the 7+7crossed. that will work best can kill two birds at once.7v and 7h and its only $149.00. ithink that is the best one for me. thanks king cobra.will order later to day.

I got to say...
M2 antennas are great as well..

when and if i upgrade my beams..
it will be with M2..

only because they offer 50 to 60 ft booms..
monster antennas for vhf to uhf (lol)

ahh..
if pete gives you any problems..
let me know...he is a bit of a nervous nelly (afraid of getting his antennas out on a dead line...is worlth a slight wait though)

Later

man thats to much boom for me :D .i did look at m2 their 7 element is $ 139.00. gulf 7+7 is $ 149.00 .hmmm m2 does do 1500 watts as to 1kw.for the gulf.

but...

how much power do you have for VHF..
Linears for these frequency's are much harder to find..
is also hard to find very high power linears for VHF..

the dual polarity 7+7 is a good 10 Dbd (about 9.5 ft boom)
my dual polarity 9 + 9 is i think 12.8 Dbd (about 17.5 ft boom)

it is doubtfull you would have a linear large enough (powerfull enough) to worry about exceeding the 1000 watt cabibility of the gulf alpha beams..(likly would have only 100 to 600 watts)

Pete's beams (gulf alpha) are very high quality and will last very long...while costing a bit less then M2..

currantly i can not find the room to use beams with boobs past 20 ft booms (for vhf or higher frequencys) without redoing my antenna farm to deal with huge elements being spun about from a huge yagi (although i wish i did have the room)..

but go with either the Gulf Alpha or M2 beams..
Both are Exellent..

Later

i did alot of reserach on alot of antennas,and i took input from thoose who replyed and i think gulf is the best way togo, i even looked at eham.net reveiws.and i still like gulf,for the price and performance it fits my needs. i will be running only 100 watts for now but i am looking at amps that do full out put of 1.5 kw .but thats down the line.7h for ssb and 7 v for fm works out great. :D

hey kc i got these off of eham.net seems i go there to check reveiws before i look at anything else.commander ll gives 700fm,1kw+ssb.commander vhf 1200 = 700 fm,1200+ ssb,commander vhf 2000= 1500+ssb,alpha-6 1500,henry2500 series 1500ssb,cw also one for 6m,2m,222cm,70m and last is the beko hlv1200 solid state.hopes this helps.

I made a 6 element quad. Only wired the first four for the moment, had to see how it worked first, got impatient. So far, so good. The strong repeaters in my area are still strong no matter which way the beam is pointed. Most of the rejection seems to be from the side. A full scale signal can drop to S9 or less broadside. Repeaters that were hard to reach with a JPole are now reliable stations, It's expanded my range a good bit. Turning it with a little Magnavox rotor I bought on sale at Menards for 40$. Materials for the antenna were about 20$. I think is was a great deal, I'll post pics in the pic section when I finish it. Might see if i can co-phase a pair eventually.

Still tinkering. I'll post when I get done. Acts kinda wierd. Some repeaters get good sig, some dont. Great side rejection good back, so far. I need to get better coax before I think I'll get optimum results.

:D just to revive this whole thread for all the newbs that will be coming on board. this is what i will be using once the tower is redone 2M-8EL XP, and a 70CM-8x8XP they can be seen here,
http://www.gulfalphaantennas.com/
plus a diamond 510 copy for a vertical (omni). I think that the gulfalpha series of antennas represent an excellent value and craftsmanship for the ham on a budget or not. they are just well made. and not mass produced by individuals who could careless about the end product or how good it works. :D :D :D :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.