• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2m beams quad vs yagi

CDX1220

Apr 2, 2005
california
to all who run 2m beams , i am looking at a cubex 4 element quad. and maybe arrows 4 element yagi. cant go much bigger because it will be in a patio in an apt. complex so limited to size. any comments will be helpful thanks in advance.

Quads are nice but more obtrusive than a yagi.Both antennas are good choices.For what you want the very slight differance in gain will not be a factor or even noticed.The quad will have a dB or two more gain than the yagi and may have a bit better rejection.Go for whatever you think will fit the best in the location.Yagis are easier to store when not in use however,they can lay flat. ;)

Yeah, a quad can be more visible than a yagi, and I feel that it is bigger. If using an apartment balcony, a yagi would probably be easier to turn.

i am in a single story unit the patio is ground level. i have a vertical and direct tv dish set up already.they dont mind as long as it is not connected to the buliding.i am looking to put up the best beam to perform under these conditions. thanks again.

i would say no more than 6' to 8' on the boom . i dont have an attic so thats out.how is the performance of that yagi in the attic.do you use it for just repeaters or do you get some dx? and how is the swr across 144-148mhz on the yagi.when i ran 11m beams .i had yagis m106,m103,then i got a quad loved it so my first choice would be a quad .but as i am new to hf/vhf/uhf. i find i must be open to new ideas so i am open minded want to get the best beam that fits my needs. thanks again. :D

SWR is great and I talk DX on it. I have talked to NY,NJ,CONN,MD,DEL on 10 watts.I talked to NYC regularly and that is around 300 miles. I get repeaters better on my discone in the attic :) I have a hamstick dipole on a tri-pod and rotor in the attic also for 6 meters. I talk DX on it also. Have talked as far west as Tex. and OK. on 25 watts.

Hey Sonwatcher,

i need to redo my mounting for my beams..
but maybe in april or may...
we should try 2 and 1.25 meter and 70cm contact
i may even be set up for 1300 mhz but that would be a trip indeed..

(spoke to carribian on 2 meters,am 3 miles out of mahatten)

Later

I use beams from www.gulfalphaantennas.com

dual polarity 9 element on 17.6 ft boom for 2 meters murs
12 element horizontal on 12.5 ft boom for 1.25 meters(222 mhz)
16 element horizontal on 12.7 ft boom for 70 cm frs/gmrs

mounted to chimney above the building

jonbah said he thinks it came from france,he suggest, arrow or gulf antennas .so i will take a look.sonwatcher he said you do real well with that beam in the attic.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.