• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

3-500Z vs 3-500ZG

Both links you have are to a standard 3-500Z. One states class AB the other states class B. Other than that NO there is no difference. A 3-500ZG is simply a 3-500Z on steroids. The G is for a graphite plate. It will take much more heat and temporary overloads than the simple metal plate of the straight Z type. Other than that there is no difference. We switched from 833C's with a metal plate in our Gates 1Kw AM transmitters to the 833C's with the graphite plates and had zero tuning differences. The only thing different was that the centre of the plates no longer showed an orange "meat ball" in them.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
From my understandings the ZG is the better tube and many of the z's are chinese made with the quality issues.
Also be careful that the tubes youre buying haven't been sitting around. The 3-500z tubes are notorious for having a short shelf life if they arent rotated thru an amp every 6 months or so and heated cherry red. From what I understand if they sit too long they get gassy beyond repair.
Google is your friend when it comes to helping you get your homework done. Lots of personal experiences out there to study.

Some versions of the graphite 3-500Z have slightly less gain than the original and would require more drive to obtain the same output. Amperex claimed this on their 3-500Z graphite tube. They were at one time, the best 3-500Z money could buy. Handling abuse like no other. No longer made and any NOS that may be sitting around, is likely to have the gas problems noted in the above post.

If I needed a new one today, I would see what Ameritron is using inside their recent production amplifiers needing that tube. They have probably already taken the time to select a brand with fairly low failure rates in order to prevent redundant warranty issues. People I know, have had excellent luck purchasing 3-500Z tubes directly from Ameritron.

One thing I can say, old school Eimac's typically test at double the breakdown voltage between grid and filament on the hi-pot tester as compared to anything made today. You bet that makes a difference in reducing the chances of an internal arc.

Last edited:
Some versions of the graphite 3-500Z have slightly less gain than the original and would require more drive to obtain the same output. Amperex claimed this on their 3-500Z graphite tube. They were at one time, the best 3-500Z money could buy. Handling abuse like no other. No longer made and any NOS that may be sitting around, is likely to have the gas problems noted in the above post.

If I needed a new one today, I would see what Ameritron is using inside their recent production amplifiers needing that tube. They have probably already taken the time to select a brand with fairly low failure rates in order to prevent redundant warranty issues. People I know, have had excellent luck purchasing 3-500Z tubes directly from Ameritron.

One thing I can say, old school Eimac's typically test at double the breakdown voltage between grid and filament on the hi-pot tester as compared to anything made today. You bet that makes a difference in reducing the chances of an internal arc.

I agree about Amperex. We always tried to source Amperex 833C's and 807's for our AM transmitters. Eventually they dried up and we had no choice but to use National brand from China.They worked well but not near as good as the Amperex.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.