• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

3.5mm Jack Conversion

sunbulls

Apr 25, 2017
I replaced a damaged speaker jack on one of my old 29 LTD’s recently and I thought I would provide the correct wiring info to avoid any confusion while changing over to the older style. If any of you replaced any of these jacks you already know it’s very difficult to replace them with the same type. The problem is the terminals on the old jack are cut short to the point they’re almost flush on the print side. If they’re not cut down this way you will never be able to force in the new jack. This poor top surface solder connection is easily broken under stress. IMO Going back to the older style is the only constructive way to go. In any case you will need to remove the power connector to gain more access. After the terminals are thoroughly sucked clean, I push down on those terminals with a small flat head until there’s enough clearance to pry the jack out from the component side. It took me awhile to clean up the board afterwards. The double sided adhesive they used on the bottom of these jacks made me late for supper.

The leftover hole was the proper size and main common terminal on the new jack also slid into place (no extension wire necessary). Two short pieces of wire were used to connect the other two terminals. The only downside to these jacks is they need to be isolated from the chassis. In this case only one small nylon washer was needed on the outside. Most dealers sell the washers separately if at all. My supply usually comes from parts radios, but I’m on the lookout for a good US source for small fiber / Nylon washers that fit these 3.5mm jacks.
3.5mm Jack Mod.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.