• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

4 X 1446 = 750/800 WATTS

C.K. I seen that I know alot of the Transistors will do more but my whole problem with that is where the power or signal going. You can volt and drive the snot out of the transistors and see more on a meter. I was reading the spec sheet on the SD1446 and they really are great devices but some people just dont like them as they think their to small ETC but if a person looks at the spec sheet which you can google you can see they are a performer and a great Transistor.

There was discussion on this forum years back with Jack from Fire Communications and he was explaining why he used this device in his builds and the power curve on a chart. Im actually surprised its not used more in the Amateur Radio world.

Tony my point was that the 1446 did not have to be voted or operated beyond it's specs to make more power than the specs show simply because the specs are for 50 MHz and they will show more power out at 27 mhz. This typical of all RF transistors in that they will produce more power, and it is still clean, lower than the design spec maximum.

Reactions: TonyV225
I gotcha bud ;) I believe as far as the Amplifier 35 Amp power supply units I never thought of turning the voltage up a tad and as they claim its a 35 Amp supply which is only good for so much power also never hooked one up to a True Active peak reading meter. Im guessing it would show about 30% more on the output on a True Peak read.

CK. were you the one years ago that posted the simplified math equation for figuring a round about or close range answer as far as true peak ballpark figuring? I know someone did but I cant remember who it was. I know it was pretty close as far as what a good meter showed and I cant find the notebook I had saved it in :(

Last edited:
CK. were you the one years ago that posted the simplified math equation for figuring a round about or close range answer as far as true peak ballpark figuring? I know someone did but I cant remember who it was. I know it was pretty close as far as what a good meter showed and I cant find the notebook I had saved it in :(

Pfffffftttt.........I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday and you ask me that? (n) I don't think it was me but then again read my first sentence. :unsure:

Reactions: TonyV225
They might be specified for 50 MHz have a bit more gain at 11 meters but the rest of the specifications about power stay.
all these power transistors have some head space but at the cost of going pop much earlier, the maker of these transistors specify them for many years trouble free working not to work as flash bulb.
All specifications overdriving them go out of the window, harmonics etc life expectancy, all will suffer.
The way it is going now FET's taking over in amplifiers, the old bipolar transistor had it's time.
and that is for a reason..... migration of molecules in transistors gets much worse driving them over the specifications of the maker.
That kills the device, letting the smoke out, see Motorola transistor bible and several Engineer bulletins.

The 1446 is a 90 watt be live me I know .. when they come new in the box they are 90 watts each one the st SD 1446 I am talking about not the off brand but the st SD 1446 is 90 watts

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.