• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

4 X 1446 = 750/800 WATTS

Stellasstillarat

Aug 14, 2014
There's a fat boy base with four 1446's for auction on eBay. Seller says it's a gold line. I own a few Palomar base amps with 4 1446's. Comparing the pictures of the inside of the fat boy to the inside of the Palomar (else 500 35 amp p/s) I own Leeds me to believe the fat boy is a much better built amp. I'm not sure of the exact rated output of an sd 1446 but If I recall there 50 to 75 watts depending on where you get the information from and, who wrote it. I've been using my 300a for a while and dont recall what my 4 1446's put out but i doubt it's anywhere near the clames of the fat boys seller. His clames are with 2 1/2 watts swinging to 30 the amp swings to 750/800. He posted a picture of his watt meter at 700/800 (don't recall). The current bid price is up above $650. Are his clames of thst output possible? I'm finding it difficult to believe. He also says that he gets the same results on three different meters. Wishful thinking, lies or possible?

The sd1446 are rated at 70 watts at 12.5vdc. Maybe he had the colts turned up to 15vdc. That amp will not last long at that voltage but may take a short key up to show some big watts. Don't believe the hype. That amp should be rated at 250-300 watts. Anymore than that is just pushing the transistors beyond it's designed limits. It will eventually give. Whoever buys it is probably going to be upset when they don't see 700 watts lol.

Reactions: walterjn and NZ8N
The sd1446 are rated at 70 watts at 12.5vdc. Maybe he had the colts turned up to 15vdc. That amp will not last long at that voltage but may take a short key up to show some big watts. Don't believe the hype. That amp should be rated at 250-300 watts. Anymore than that is just pushing the transistors beyond it's designed limits. It will eventually give. Whoever buys it is probably going to be upset when they don't see 700 watts lol.

Whoever pays $650 for it DESERVES whatever they get.

Reactions: NZ8N and binrat
I thought it sounded koko! Can you exsplan if these phantom watts aren't all being transmitted on 27mhz where are thay being transmitted if, at all? Are the watts lost somewhere between the transciver and antenna? Or are these readings just showing up on his meter/meters as some kind of reflected signal. Realistically what shoul 4 1446's produce on an average, in the real world?
Possible maybe, silly watts, ghost watts, whatever you want to cal them, I'll bet that over half those watts are not being transmitted on 27mhz lol.

I thought it sounded koko! Can you exsplan if these phantom watts aren't all being transmitted on 27mhz where are thay being transmitted if, at all? Are the watts lost somewhere between the transciver and antenna? Or are these readings just showing up on his meter/meters as some kind of reflected signal. Realistically what shoul 4 1446's produce on an average, in the real world?

400-450 watts peak. In all fairness it is a nice amplifier;

It's actually at $520 . I find it hard to believe someone would pay even near that for 4 1446's. Even myself who knows so little (but learning)would never pay even close to that. I've three of thoses Palomar 500 elite's with 4 1446 's and a bonus 35 amp 12 volt power supply and I'd sell them in a second for $500 each.how could people be so gullible? I could see the seller sitting in his chair watching his computer screen laughing at these people bidding on his amp that won't do half the described wattage. Unbelievable!!!

Psycho has the right numbers. An SD1446 is speced at 70 watts out but that is at 50 mhz as it is a VHF Lo band device and not just good for HF. It can realistically make 100 Watts on 27 mhz. Anything much over 400 watts showing on a meter is crap influencing the meter. It can be fun to measure power on a meter and an oscilloscope and see the result of that crap going out.

Reactions: NZ8N
I thought it sounded koko! Can you exsplan if these phantom watts aren't all being transmitted on 27mhz where are thay being transmitted if, at all?

On all the harmonics and intermods. So 27MHz, 54MHz, 81MHz, 108MHz etc etc and probably multiple places in-between.

Reactions: NZ8N
Those transistors are 70 watt devices they are a great transistor but those 4 transistors together are good for 350-375 Watts output. Ive had the mobile Palomar / Boomer 400 and 2 of the base amplifier / 35 amp power supply units I bought brandnew in the mid 1990s and they were indeed good for 350 - 375 watts. Mobiles may show more with higher voltage but theres a limit to that aswell.

Those transistors are 70 watt devices they are a great transistor but those 4 transistors together are good for 350-375 Watts output. Ive had the mobile Palomar / Boomer 400 and 2 of the base amplifier / 35 amp power supply units I bought brandnew in the mid 1990s and they were indeed good for 350 - 375 watts. Mobiles may show more with higher voltage but theres a limit to that aswell.

Tony see my post above. they are 70 watt devices but at 50 MHz. They will cleanly make more power out and have higher gain at 27 MHz.

Reactions: Enterprise312ok
The palomar/boomer variety, expect 350-375. On the "comp" type like FB and such I have seen around 450 pep. That was on 14v system. Now if that base box is unregulated. It may be floating at 17-18. It may get more. But I wouldn't push it. The die / flange on those 1446's are half the size of a 2879. Meaning lower heat transfer. And those 1446's cost more than a 2879.

Reactions: TonyV225

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.