• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

4 x HG 2879 advice

I keep hearing about people puting in the "C" versions to get more power and they keep blowing them. The standards you can get away in most of the time just replacing the Toshibas but not with the C versions they are a totally different item.

The other thing people don't realize is you need to quadruple power output to get a 1 S unit increase of signal at the receive end. So if you're friends signal is hitting you at S5 with 400 watts, he would need to go to 1600 watts to hit you at S6.
1000 watts doesn't go twice as far as 500; It doesn't work that way !
Only true at levels of S3 and above. Absolutely not true below...

Looks good on paper, but not in reality.

And if your friend is giving you S5, then he doesn't need to increase his output.

But,

If your friend is giving you S0~S1, then even doubling his output (+3dB) will increase his signal 1S unit or more.

Before you flame, test it on your own gear. Use your RF Gain or a SG to confirm.

Reactions: NZ8N
I keep hearing about people puting in the "C" versions to get more power and they keep blowing them. The standards you can get away in most of the time just replacing the Toshibas but not with the C versions they are a totally different item.
Correct. The 2879C is totally different. It is NOT a drop in replacement. It has very different input and output impedances. Can't over volt and is rated at 150w out.

If any major amp builder would re-engineer their 2SC-2879 amps to use the HG 2879C with an AB bias (passive like Texas Star or active like Palomar), the radio world would beat a path to their door.

The HG 2879 D08 is the closest thing to a drop in replacement of the original Toshiba 2SC-2879.

Before you flame, test it on your own gear. Use your RF Gain or a SG to confirm.
I did extensive experiments on this with a friend about 15 miles away a few years back. The 1 S unit increase with 4X power was almost exact whether the original signal was S1, S5, or S9. Of course, above S9 everything is different because over that you are measuring dB instead of S units.......... This was all done using ham gear at both ends of the transmission circuit.
Not sure why it would be any different below S3 ? That certainly wasn't my experience, but as they say, your mileage may vary !

Anyways, I was more trying to make the point that double the power does not equal double the distance, which is a VERY common misconception, especially amongst newer CB'ers.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.