• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

40 channel CB radio rotary switch?

Robb

Honorary Member Silent Key
Dec 18, 2008
Silicon Valley CA, Storm Lake IA
Are the 40ch rotary switches used in a Cobra 29, a Cobra 148, and Galaxy 959 all the same part?
As in interchangeable?
I do have a Cobra 29 parts radio.

Got a old 5-pin Cobra 148 at the Hamfest this weekend and it looks like that switch might be a bit worn out and needing replacement. If you barely turn it, some of the ch LED legs go off and on. It has a little bit of up and down play too. Is there an electrolytic cap on this circuit? Because the ch LED doesn't come on right away too, sometimes it takes a few minutes or some of the ch LED legs will not light at all. Already resoldered those two boards and put in a new ch LED. Very strange. TR28 is also running hot to the touch.

???

Last edited:

well there is probably a couple of electrolytics involved in the voltage source going to the channel switch, im sure you can trace it back from the switch using the schematic.

as for the channel switch, i cant say for 100%, but my guess would be that they are not the same.

However! years ago i was given some sage advice by a tech who designed channel mods, that the channel switch can indeed be cleaned, and returned to a pretty much "like new" state.

its not that difficult, but if you arent extremely careful about how you take it apart and put it back together, it wont work at all. (then you'll have to take apart another one to see how it was supposed to go back together LOL)

first, unsolder the switch from the PC board.

once you have it loose, look at the metal plate on the back.
you will see four small white plastic "nubs" that hold the plate, and all of the innards in place.

this is the most important part of the process. you need to cut off all the edges, so that you can slide the metal plate off the back, BUT!!!
you MUST leave the middle of the "nub" intact.
the reason for this is that when you put the switch back together, you will need to melt these nubs down to hold the metal plate in place again.

i use an X-acto knife to cut around the edges until i can just pop that plate off.
just be careful and aware of what you are doing and you'll be fine.

next step is to start sliding the plastic sections backwards off of the shaft.

you will notice that the shaft has two flat sides and two rounded sides.
i like to put the flat sides toward each side of the switch.
you must make sure not to turn the shaft as you are taking the switch apart.

once you slide the first section out, you will see that it has little prongs that will line up with the plastic disc that you have just made visible.
those prongs need to be cleaned with contact cleaner, and i like to bend them out just a bit to make sure they are making good contact with the disc.

now lay that first section down and make sure you orient it in such a way that you can lay out each successive piece in order and in the same position.
this way you will know how it all goes back together.

now you can slide the first disc off. you will have to wiggle it off as it sits pretty tightly.
be careful not to turn the shaft as you do this.

now clean the disc and lay it down so you will know which way it goes back in.

now slide of the next plastic piece, and clean and bend its prongs.

then the next disc, then the next plastic piece, and so on...

you will see that each disc gets sandwiched between two of the plastic pieces. it all makes more sense when you are looking at it.

DO NOT remove the shaft, as there is a little ball bearing that is under spring tension that will fly off into no man's land. (trust me, you'll never find it again)

after all the pieces are cleaned, just slide them back on the shaft EXACTLY the way they came off.

now put the metal plate back in place and devise your method of melting the white plastic pieces in order to hold it all together.

(i like to heat up the head of a finishing nail and press it against the nubs.
seems to work pretty well for me, although i have used the side of the shaft of a soldering iron before also)

thats it!

your channel switch will be good as new.

ive done quite a few of these over the years and it usually clears up the "ghosting digit" syndrome.

good luck,
LC

Reactions: 3 people
Robb -

When trying to figure out if the channel selectors from different radios are interchangeable, a good rule of thumb to follow is: If the radios use the same pll chip, and the channel switching truth tables are the same, chances are they will interchange.
The 29ltd uses the 2816 pll, and the 148gtl uses the 8719. Totally different rotary switches. 959 uses the 8719, but the switch part number (GPS-501) is different than the 148's (GPS-739), so who knows. Probably LC's suggestion to rebuild the switch is the way to go.
Good luck and 73s.

Reactions: 1 person
I'd just like to put it out there that if anyone reading this thread does not feel comfortable rebuilding their own channel selector; they can send me a PM and i will do it for them. (not for free, but im not going to try to get rich doing it either LOL)
LC

My Cobra 29 NW WX ST is stuck on ch 19 no matter what you do... Using my backup Uniden 78 LTW for now. Its collecting dust for now but I hope I can find the time to try this and see if it fixes!!

22racer, not to hijack the thread, but i would be looking at the channel 9/19 switch and associated circuitry for a bad solder connection or a blown/shorted diode.
the chances of your channel switch making NO contact at any other point than channel 19 position is very unlikely, like almost impossible.
LC

Reactions: 1 person
An update on the switch:

Called up Ranger USA. Seems that Ranger has a channel switch in stock, as the Ranger TR-296 radio is an exact clone/duplicate of the venerable Cobra 148GTL. But they aren't cheap; about $24 plus S&H.

Also bought a 11.325mhz crystal to replace the 11.1125mhz crystal. This radio was of course hacked with the freq mod, clipped out TR24/AM Limiter, and the clarifier can slide +10khz. I am putting it all back to stock.

Thanks for all of the insights and replies!

Maybe it's just me but $24 for a channel switch is not bad at all considering what goes on inside that switch and the make-up of it. Is it a regular binary switch or a binary coded decimal switch? I remember repairing an older BCD switch that controlled a UPD858 PLL. It was....shall we say :eek:.

Maybe it's just me but $24 for a channel switch is not bad at all considering what goes on inside that switch and the make-up of it. Is it a regular binary switch or a binary coded decimal switch? I remember repairing an older BCD switch that controlled a UPD858 PLL. It was....shall we say :eek:.

nope, not just you, after reading loosecannon's dis/assembly description, 24$ doesn't sound too bad.

Please explain the difference if you want.

I know that the 858 and the 8719 are supposed to be in the same category of PLL, but don't know the details.

I'll probably take apart the old switch and see if I can clean it for another radio that may come along. I do go to Hamfests looking for old Cobra 148 5-pins to take home and fix. Learning as I do it. Haven't smoked one yet, and want to keep it that way.

Last edited:
I assume you know normal binary progression > 1 2 4 8 16 32 64 etc. With chips that use this each input steps the frequency by 10 KHz times the associated binary number so accessing the 16 pin would raise the frequency by 160 KHz etc.Each frequency is assigned an "N" number on what is called a truth chart.

Binary coded decimal (BCD) uses a different scheme in which each digit of an assigned "N" number is encoded in binary separately from the others and uses a four bit number to do so. In regular binary the number 107 is expressed as 1101011 which is 64+32+0+8+0+2+1 while in BCD code it is represented as 0001 0000 0111 which is 0+0+0+1 to make the first digit 1. The next group is all zero's which makes the second digit 0. The third group is 0111 which is 0+1+2+4 which equals 7 the last digit. Instead of representing the entire number BCD breaks each number down into a separate group. It requires more inputs to the PLL chip and thus a more complicated switch.

Binary-coded decimal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.