• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

5 Foot Firestik Range Question.

If I had a 60 foot tower I would put my Sirio Vector 4000 on top along with various other antennas. Done tried the 102" SS whip on my tower. The A99 is head and shoulders better than a 1/4 wave whip and much more than a Firestik. It's akin to putting a Briggs&Stratton engine in a corvette.
That's my .39 cents.

Lil'Yeshua, you didn't even give the 102" whip a chance. It was never intended to work as installed. A 1/4 wave radiator really needs an effective ground plane close and under it to work to full potential and show the balance at the feed point to get best performance.

I didn't know how your whip was setup at first, but later saw a picture you posted. At best that big TV antenna produced a lot of horizontal ground plane which messed up your resonance big time and you probably had very weak receive even when you used your tuner. With all that horizontal conductor below the antenna, you probably were talking of the TV antenna and not the whip.

Are you going to tell us that you got a good match without using the tuner in 11 meters?

No wonder you had a tuner in line, that setup was probably resonant up in 30 mhz, and I doubt you generated and vertical signal. I'd be surprised if you got out even 10 miles to another vertical. The pattern doesn't look so bad, but it is not a typical good 1/4 ground plane pattern.

Here is a 101" whip model that has a 7 element horizontal Yagi under it. I loaded the back end up with and idea for the high frequency TV antenna, and it shows pretty bad performance, and a terrible match...that IMO was likely very high in frequency...and no where near the CB band.

View attachment Lil'Yeshau's .25w idea over a TV antenna.pdf

Actually the vswr(?) wasn't bad at all. I have the tuner to keep to give the radio a good load match. I talked to someone 45 miles away who obviously had beams pointed my way. My contact was surprised that I was talking on a a SS 1/4 wave whip,I was as well. I talked skip with it and heard someone out west as in 2000 miles out west talk skip on a 1/4 SS whip. Talking mostly in the TV antenna?,that was what I was hoping to achieve. The 110' of RG8X feed line came off the antenna,traveling straight down for eight or so feed then made a thirty degree turn or so right angle turn towards the radio shack. A droopy 'L'. The SS whip had fairly good receive but everybody around here runs linears except me. It was no problem to hear 60 miles away,again,amplification on everyone else's part. Beam antennas are so vital for any comunication in my neck of the woods just because all the CB and hams on CB are far away from each other.

P.S. After changing out the SS whip for the A99, I was getting a much higher receive on everyone. One contact 8-10 mikes away went from a 5 1/2 s-units to a 7 1/2 a-units on my receive. As for the SS whip,it's serving duty as one of my A99's ground plane radials.
Thanks.

Use the tower it's self as an antenna? Sure, it can certainly be done and is done fairly often. That doesn't say anything about how well it will work, but it's certainly possible.
It's usually done because a 1/4 wave vertical would be impractical for whatever reason, and is more common on the lower HF bands than the higher ones. I think the shape of the radiation pattern wouldn't be all that great on 10 - 11 meters, but it can certainly be done.
- 'Doc

is very simple, just apply as the whole antenna rf.

You believes that only the piece of antenna you buy is what works.

does not understand why.

ABSOLUTELY ALL ELECTRICALLY CONNECTED TO AN ANTENNA INCLUDING COAX, IS PART OF THE ANTENNA.(And also induced parasitic elements)

nosepc

Yeah. I understand that.

Yeah. I understand that.

LESS BAD

I was tired ..

tired-working-11694439.jpg

Just For CONversation sake not technical
I said that this thread is just for CONVO....
in the OP nobody paid attenion i guess

If anybody had to take a guess....
With stock 4 watts. with 5 foot firestik FS II
On 60 ft. tower. with belden 9914 rg8 coax
Range Guess

Nobodys took a guess on range yet
Except The DB is post #7

Nobodys took a guess on range yet
Except The DB is post #7

Apparently nobody is interested in such an inane idea. Care to guess the range of my CA2X4SR dual band 2m/70cm antenna if it is mounted on the left rear corner of my 2012 Toyota Tundra Crew max when driven with 50 watts in FM mode? I need to know if it will be worthwhile installing it there. No really....come on. Try.

:headbang

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.