• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

50 watt mod? Gimmie the straight scoop...

freecell said:
there are 2 "made-for-cb" amplifiers that i know of that do incorporate 5 pole LPF. you're right mole, the majority do not.

Which two are those?

Butt Fuzz,

Conversely to your reply of assumptions and misconceptions, my 1st Class license was obtained many years ago, long before this so-called "dumbing down" by the FCC. You might be referring to the no-code tests, but that's in regards to Amateur Radio, not commercial broadcasting. For all I know, you may not even have been born yet when I received my license! My experience with Motorola is with their professional/commercial equipment and not the FRS/baby monitor crap that you seem to be thinking of. My intention was to list "some" of my credentials towards lending some credibility behind my original reply. I'm not some CBer who hung out with a couple of self-educated techs, learning tidbits here and there. Reading through this thread eventually sparked a response from me, as off-topic or amusing as it may have appeared to the you. I came away impressed by the comments of some, and not as much from others. I'm not sure of the relative need for you to mention my enjoyment of being on-call for 24/7 or of 1st Class techs being a dime-a-dozen. Someone has to keep things running, just as an emergency room has to be staffed 24/7, the same goes for public service departments. That comment from you was moot IMO.

It's interesting that you're the only one that seems bothered from my replies. I'll leave it at that for you to decipher. Talking on the radio or on the Internet about one's qualifications or experience, certainly is not inversely proportional to the truth at hand. On the otherhand, that can also be a cop-out statement made by those who have yet to achieve. Take that as you wish. What I will state is that my experiences and qualifications must be of some merit since it's afforded me a rewarding piece of the American Dream.... and that in itself should be worth puffing one's chest about.

C2 said:
The subjective argument is wholey understood, that was the point there. But there are real quantitative elements in our discussion, which are not subjective at all. Those elements are the numbers in our measurements.

As Justin said, the harmonic is 32dB down (-32dBc). This is a relative measurement, relative to 50W. The same is true with the -62 dBc that I report. Only, the spec is typically -55 dBc. The harmonic increase, as I pointed out previously, is on the order of 34dB when the carrier increase is on the order of 5dB. While you and I may not perceive this to be of any significance with our crude observations, but consumers at increasing radius' just might start seeing something they do not usually see. Do you think that TVI could be perceived more than one mile from your location, even though you did not notice any increase locally? Put it another way, a guy 20 miles away adds a 2-pill palomar to his stock radio, will you really perceive any difference in signal strength on your radio? No, you will not likely notice much at all.

Now, these comments by you and Justin:

"And as Justin commented, what difference does it really make in the big picture if the average user of the CB is going to overmodulate it and run it into some dirty CB amp, anyway?"

"what good does it do when a guy drives this radio into a 1 X 4 davemade, and overdrive overdrive, overdrive?"

And these points apply equally well to cut limiters and cap and resistor mods. So the point is that it does not matter at all.

Funny point these guys make or Justin makes, he is talking about cbers overdriving amps, well he is the one peaking these radios up to supposedly 50 watts.

I think it is all snake oil, the mod transformer isnt capable of modulating the carrier neccasary to produce 50 peak watts

No snake oil!Sorry but 7 different meters showed the same power + or- 5 watts from my cobra 29 after his mods.This is more than just a 15 minute peak and tune,hell i wated for 2 hours while he did mine but it was time and money very well spent.After the work he did it was louder,clearer,and the receive was better than ever.Other drivers wanted to know what kind of amp i was running and when i told them i was bare foot they called me a liar.So all i can say to those haters out there is if you think he is full of BS then stop talking crap about the man and his work and order one for your self! But im sure that there would still be more than a few here that would still talk crap no matter how well their radio worked after he did his magic,the world is just to full of haters!

If you were to take 2 radios,one that looked good on the scope(basic p/t) and the other(50 watt tune) that looked kinda of so so and you talked on both to the same person that was a few miles away could the human ear really tell a difference?

Not so much the power or the performance of the radios, i mean the fact that one looked better on the scope than the other.Would the one that did not look like it should on the scope really sound that different?

Music to your ears might make mine bleed.

Not every one has perfect pitch, or the ability to hear it.

They will sound different, or at least should.

Otherwise, why would anyone pay for a 50W mod?

No problem with that. After all, I can get 100W mobile transceivers for just about any band. I just can't see squeezing it out of a 16 watt final.

Don't see many radios that "look wrong" on the 'scope and still sound right at the other end. Very uncommon.

The reverse proposition is another matter. Not every audio problem that you can hear will show up on the 'scope screen. Most, but not all.

Trusting what others tell you on the air is error-prone, to say the least. If it sounds right on another receiver a few feet away, it will nearly always sound right at a greater distance.

Letting the customer hear it before he pays and carries it off is a lot more convincing than anything that you (or anyone else) can tell him.

Simple "bang for the buck" is the reason we quit doing that one. Linears are just too cheap, in comparison. And more effective, in Watts per dollar.

Cobra 29

Justin, I've got to agree with you. You really can't go wrong with a Cobra 29 or a Uniden 78. The basic models on up to the ones with weather and backlit. I see them all the time.

Its like limiting the negative peaks to around 95% and letting the positive peaks go over 100% like up to 125%---
Basically- 2 types of mod-- negative and positive-- when the + is increased normally the - is increase at the same rate evenly-- if you go over 100% with the positive modulation the peak just keeps going up-- but with the negative when its at 100% its like a flat line-- you can't go over 100% negative-- when you try to this is what causes the distortion you hear with overmod radios-- if there was a way to limit the neg mod to under 100% and have the positive mod reach over 100% you would have a very loud signal with no distortion
Thats what asymmetrical modulation is-- 125% positive mod with no negative effects of the negative mod because its kept at 95%-- its a way to get more positive mod without going over the 100% negative mark
Its almost the same as a NPC or PPE mod--npc negative peak compression-- compressing the negative peaks but letting the positive go over 100%
Audioshockwave hit the nail on the head with it being an old broadcasting trick
In this case I was wondering if he was using this type of mod to get more drive or swing while kepping the distortion down

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.