• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

6 Meter 5/8 gainmaster

vkrules

Feb 18, 2012
Brisbane Australia
I had several PMs for my 6m gainmaster dimensions so here they are.
Thanks go to PSYDOC for the original work on the 11 meter gainmaster.http://www.transmission1.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=33050&hilit=siro+gainmaster

6m gainmaster.jpg

The 6m gainmaster is a center fed sleeved 5/8 dipole .
The stub at the feed point is to match the antennas 200 ohm impedance to a usable 50 ohms . My prototypes swr was less than 1.3 from 50.100 to 53 mhz making it usfull for SSB operation as well as FM repeater work.
Here is my step by step.Be patient might take me a while to get it posted.
The cap, stub and tap are made from a single piece of RG213.(don't use RG58 for the stub at this frequency as the loss is to high) The bottom section including the choke is made from RG58.

Start with a 1100 mm length of RG213 cable.
Cut 30mm of sheath and braid off the top.Use a sharp knife and take care not to cut dielectric.
IMG_1716.JPG

Last edited:
Measure down 700 mm from bottom of the gap for the Cap and preparing feed point tap. You can of course make this with connectors and a T piece.I choose not to because it doubles the cost of the project and isn't as streamlined.

IMG_1721.JPG

Last edited:
Notice i don't cut the cable all the way through
IMG_1727.JPG

Solder the tap
IMG_1728.JPG

To insulate the joint I used some scrap dielectric and put it through my hot melt glue gun. Did a nice job I think!!
Remember the 30 mm off cut of braid at the start, slide it over the joint.
IMG_1730.JPG

Solder the ends and check for continuity make sure there is no shorts.Then seal it up. I used epoxy and over wrapped with electrical tape. I would normally use self amalgamating tape but I'm all out at the moment.

Last edited:
Next measure down the stub 310 mm add an extra 5 mm for a solder joint and solder the ends together. Note.Stub is shorted so you will see a short circuit at the coax end.

Last edited:
Next measure down from the center ( bottom of the cap) 188cm and wind your 8 turn coil. On this one I used a plastic rattle can lid as the former , It just happened to be the right size ( 65 mm diameter).
Note the tape on the rg-58 ,that was to mark the 188cm to wind the coil from .
Hold in place with tape or zip tie ..
stationmaster coil 6m.jpg

How you install it i will leave it up to you.
You can put the radiator in pvc electrical conduit, fiberglass radome or hang it from a tree.
Here it is going up on a 10 meter fishing pole.
stationmaster goingup.jpg stationmaster goingup2.jpg stationmasterup.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated