• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

6-meter Magic Band question

BJ radionut

Supporting Member and 6m addict
May 9, 2008
35 miles East of Indianapolis
I was asked this question privately; thought may be of interest to others.

"I'm thinking about trying 6m and was curious if you know of any above average or excellent websites I should read. Kind of looking for an all-inclusive site and figured that if anyone knew, it'd be you. "

All inclusive, guess not. Hope this helps a little. I started 6 meter's maybe 10 years ago...Rotatable/Scrap Aluminum Dipole at like 40 ft..... (Good cheap Eskip antenna) worked all over the US/North America with 100 watts...then 3 element HB... then add 400 watts and pre-amp...then Obsession kicked in ...next few years multiple antenna changes ...changes in power...now running HB KW amp and 6 element wide space/25ft Boom @ 40ft....The quest for the grids is addicting.
Over the next few years of cycle 25, 6 meters will continue to improve. When 6 opens a "coat hanger" will work :giggle:
I would rather have good++ antenna (4 element wide space/5 L-LFA etc.) and 100 watts @(35-50ft best Eskip height) ... rather than 1000 watts and a Moxon at 20ft:ROFLMAO:
I operate only conventional modes SSB/AM/FM/CW ... no digi!
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

Last edited:

2m/VHF design but same works on 6m, just little longer

Attachments

• Practical Antenna Design VHF.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 142
Reactions: AudioShockwav
EA8BPX QSL.pngF4GGQ 6m qsl.pngEA8DO QSL.png
G4RRA QSL.JPGZF1EJ QSL.JPGCS7 QSL.JPGD4C 6m QSL.pngEI3KD 6m QSL.pngF4VPC 6m QSL.PNG

Last edited:
Good info and good write up. I run 5 elements.. (not wide spaced) at 48 ft and 100 watts. Been having fun on 6 ssb. No DX yet but I'm just getting going on 6. No digital for me either. Already planning for next summer projects. Another tower.. This may include a 6 element lfa at 70 ft and a kilowatt to feed it. We will see how things play out...

I run a 5 element 6M5X M2 at just 55' & just a Kilowatt but I manage to work anyone I can hear with ease.I started on 6 meters in 1994 & it's always been my Favorite Band Preriod.

W4KVW
SIX-SHOOTER

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated