• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

6 Meters at 30 to 50 miles

North Texas Mudduck

Apr 5, 2005
ok we are trying to setup a deal where we can talk on 6 meter and are looking at the 30 to 50 mile radius
what would be the simple but effective way
i always been told just keep it simple

How high is your antenna?

I can hit he repeater in Tampa FL over 125 miles away.

Of course that repeater is on top of a tall building.

If it is simplex then height and yagi's

FM works great on 6 meters.

Reactions: 1 person
im thinking that the 4 or 5 element beam will work out
others around here are trying the 6 meter vertical at roof level and cant make contact at 38 miles
so im looking into the beam maybe flat or vertical not sure yet
once i get it in and up i will check it out

6 Meters is the 'hybred' of HF and VHF bands, a mixture that's not predictable much. Like VHF stuff the higher the antenna the better. Also like HF, Momma Nature's propagation is the biggy. Put all that into a blender and hit the high button for a while. No telling what you'll end up with, just like shooting craps. I've 'played' with 6 meters for a long time and still haven't figured it out. If you ever do, then tell me the secret!!
- 'Doc

im thinking that the 4 or 5 element beam will work out
others around here are trying the 6 meter vertical at roof level and cant make contact at 38 miles
so im looking into the beam maybe flat or vertical not sure yet
once i get it in and up i will check it out

If you are going to be in a scattered group, a beam might not be best unless you want to be constantly swinging it around. Vertical would be good but you need height to clear ground obstacles. You could try a vertical dipole. Horizontal dipole would be ok too if everyone else is polarized horizontal as well. Polarization is more important with "local" ground wave. Just make sure nobody is in the nulls in your transmit pattern.

The problem I see is that most people into 6m are in it for the DX and use horizontal directional antennas. this would be no problem unless one finds themself in the middle and has to constantly rotate the antenna. Verticals may be the better choice however for most it would mean another antenna to purchase and install.

The problem I see is that most people into 6m are in it for the DX and use horizontal directional antennas. this would be no problem unless one finds themself in the middle and has to constantly rotate the antenna. Verticals may be the better choice however for most it would mean another antenna to purchase and install.

xactly correct,......... the M2 antennas do work quite well.

I have a home brew 6 ele quad modeled after a CUBEX "Killer Bee" design, on a 20 ft boom that also works well,.... and it's not really very big. a TV rotor will operate it.

for local stuff ,I use an old Ringo AR-6 as a "copy stick".

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?