• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

60,000 watts swinging 100,000 watts on the Bird Meter.

Speaking of 550, Ham I was talking to over weekend reminded me that next year when analog power is out and everything goes digital, there will be alot of TV stations possible selling Klystrons next year, Not that I would know what to do with them. But give me time. LOL. Lots of 50K transmitters possibly for sale.

My guess is that you will see them bought up by a resaler and shipped overseas. TV transmitters are a differant bird altogether when it comes to generating a signal.

My guess is that you will see them bought up by a resaler and shipped overseas. TV transmitters are a differant bird altogether when it comes to generating a signal.
But would not the tranmit tubes be of use to um say a pirate am station.

I won't pretend to know much about TV tubes but I do know that UHF TV transmitters use a klystron tube and they are usable on UHF and microwave frequencies only. You would NEVER see one on HF.They are not just a simple tube but a whole differant ballgame than any tube you have ever seen before.As for the VHF lowband TV transmitters for ch. 2-6 that may be a differant story. Again I am not real sure what some of the high powered stations use but some of the medium power stations use a tube similar to the 4CX10,000.

I for one have found this thread very interesting and informative. Please "Impress" me with any more pictures of his installation that you might have. (y)
I appreciate good equipment when I see it too that why I post the pics. I have a pic of the stand alone power supply/Generator that powers this beast.(Propane powered) and Picture of the Beam and tower that channels all that power:drool: but I am not going to post because I am tired of getting flamed some people here it seem.... new members have no appreciation for good radio equipment when they see it. They want to sit here and criticize, because the station is illegal. So what we are all grown men here and we know whats legal and whats not. I am a RADIO ENTHUSIAST First and a Radio Operator Second.

But who cares it's just a bunch of pictures.
I miss the old forum..

Drifter,
I feel like I need to apologize. My last post was not pointed towards you, I'm sorry if that's how it came across. It was aimed at the whole 'SuperBowl' crowd, and for that I'm not apologizing. The humongus power thingy is such a waste of time, space, frequencies, and money. One of those, "mine's bigger than yours!" thingys, which serves absolutely no purpose.
I have to admit that it looks like the setup was well done, though. There might also be a little jealousy in that, I certainly wish I had had that cooling system in place of my air conditioner the last few month! And having been the around the 'power' route once upon a time, I certainly don't envy supporting the 'eating' habits of a large amplifier. Rather spend it on beer!
- 'Doc

I hope you did not take my response as a flame. I was dead serious about the thread being interesting and informative. If I worded it wrong please accept my most humble apology. I too am here to learn, share and enjoy radio.

They want to sit here and criticize, because the station is illegal.

Actually, the only thing you need on that equipment to be legal is a Part-18 certification.
As long as you keep it on 27.12MHz +/-163KHz, you're fine.

Dont bother with the criticism, because some people will always be mudducks even if they were running 100kw of power.
if you get my drift.

And having been the around the 'power' route once upon a time, I certainly don't envy supporting the 'eating' habits of a large amplifier. Rather spend it on beer!
- 'Doc

Yeah, I was just researching the feeding of this beast. Best I could come up with was this:

Guardian Elite 150kW 6.8L Commercial Generator QT150

I hope he's running some storage between the generator and amp...I could just see the situation where the amp keys, the generator drops RPMs and doesn't recover in time, and the voltage crashes.

Wonder how much he's spending on $$$/kW?? I'd suspect it's rather high given the price of propane...I might dig out my old Chemical Engineering texts and give it a whirl this weekend...what do you think the efficiency of the amp and generator would be??? Maybe 50% for the genny and 65% for the amp???

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.