• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

60,000 watts swinging 100,000 watts on the Bird Meter.

This Super Bowl station slams the needle of a Bird Meter with a 100,000 watt slug in the corner.:drool:
Nuff Said!!!!!

Attachments

• Station Pic1.JPG
    Station Pic1.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 443
  • Station pic5.JPG
    Station pic5.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 420
  • Station Pic2.JPG
    Station Pic2.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 414

Don't let that CCA broadcast TX fool ya. That is not producing 60,000 watts on 11m. It would be next to impossible to modify it to go that high in frequency due to component layout and long leadlength not to mention the size of the components affecting stray capacitance.That is an AM-10,000 which would put out 10KW on the AM band and maybe as high as 40m when modified.If you had a lucky leprecon on your shoulder you may see 20m but with reduced output.The entire cabinet would have to be gutted and a completely new amp built inside of it to operate on 11m.Maybe he uses it for 80m. I see some ham gear on the desk. However,that homebrew gear in the middle picture looks interesting. :drool:

Don't let that CCA broadcast TX fool ya. That is not producing 60,000 watts on 11m. It would be next to impossible to modify it to go that high in frequency due to component layout and long leadlength not to mention the size of the components affecting stray capacitance.That is an AM-10,000 which would put out 10KW on the AM band and maybe as high as 40m when modified.If you had a lucky leprecon on your shoulder you may see 20m but with reduced output.The entire cabinet would have to be gutted and a completely new amp built inside of it to operate on 11m.Maybe he uses it for 80m. I see some ham gear on the desk. However,that homebrew gear in the middle picture looks interesting. :drool:
Don't let the cabinet fool you everything is custom made even the tubes, Three phase 480Volt power supply I saw the video of the station being keyed. Dead Key 60,000 watts----- 100,000 watts with an audio. It pegged a Bird Meter with a 100,000 watt slug. The owner of the station does not bullsh.... He does not key often but when he keys on CH6 it's lights out.

Why climb Everest? It serves no practical purpose, but it makes whoever can do it a badass. Same with the Superbowl (Ch 6 CB). Pretty much just so you can say you can, or did.

Or the shorter answer---For Fun!

Big Deal, all that equipment and power , for what ?

"so you can say you can do it " , meanwhile , you just come off like another jerk with a linear , so you can be heard on top of more jerks with linears

I still thinks it's stupid and a waste of time

Go ahead , my Flame suit is on ,
but remember the station is illegal :glare:

Don't let the cabinet fool you everything is custom made even the tubes, Three phase 480Volt power supply I saw the video of the station being keyed. Dead Key 60,000 watts----- 100,000 watts with an audio. It pegged a Bird Meter with a 100,000 watt slug. The owner of the station does not bullsh.... He does not key often but when he keys on CH6 it's lights out.

That goes exactly with what I said about the cabinet having to be completely gutted and rebuilt for 11m.CCA went bankrupt twice,the latest in 2002, and there are a lot of old TX available that make good starting points for high power projects.I do not doubt everything was custom built for him except the tubes. Chosen yes but built no.

I was wondering about the cooling. It just did not seem right that it would have used air cooling,too much power in too small of a package for that. Water/glycol or vapour phase cooling (where water is actually boiled and then condensed again) offers much more cooling ability in a smaller package.Not at all uncommon for high power tube transmitters.I have never run then but I had a collegue in the biz that had a water cooled 50 Kw AM transmitter at the now defunct 550 CFNB.

FredInFl,
There's two ways of looking at it, I guess. Personally, I'm only impressed by the owner's silliness. Takes all kinds, you know...
- 'Doc

Speaking of 550, Ham I was talking to over weekend reminded me that next year when analog power is out and everything goes digital, there will be alot of TV stations possible selling Klystrons next year, Not that I would know what to do with them. But give me time. LOL. Lots of 50K transmitters possibly for sale.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.