• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

655hp and amps. What’s your thoughts?

EEww, being a former company driver myself - is the mechanics that work on the trucks ok with this?

I've seen guys get shown the door for even using amps in their trucks on a boombox type slip-seat setup.

Can make a mechanic pretty angry over having to fix burnt electricals - takes out your truck and possibly your stuff with it.

They can fix the truck - but they wontt touch your stuff and if it's installed in there - they've taken it into the manager for show n tell - hence the door reference. Especially if they can prove damages done were not from their covered repairs. So hope you don't get towed to the shop over this...

20 amps is not an issue - 40 amps can be...

:+> Andy <+

I’ve not asked for permission and I’m not advertising it to anybody around there either lol. I’ve got everything set up so it can be removed quickly if needed

.... Except for the k40, and it’s gonna be replaced with a Wilson 5000 in the coming weeks. ...

I would recommend waiting to install the amp until after you have the Wilson 5000.

Also consider having a tech turn down the power on that radio so that it drives the amp reasonably with the variable on high, that way you don't have to worry about damaging the amp because of a brain fart. I would set it up so the amp can always be left on high and the full range of the variable on the radio can be used to control your amps output.

I'm not crazy about the idea of hiding an install from the boss but that's your decision to make, just be careful.

This is going in my company work truck so I can’t get to carried away with it. I’m not trying to be the big dog on the airwaves just a little something extra. I had done enough home to know that the dx400 that I bought was small for my radio but big enough that it’d be ok. And small enough that I won’t get into trouble at work for trying to go all out in a truck that’s not mine lol

That being the case, just keep it simple.
It would be best to run 8 ga. or 6 ga. wire cable to the battery with an inline MAXI-FUSE.
You can run with the one single battery only, and your headlights will probably dim some when the amplifier keys up, but all will be okay.
Same setup in my friends truck with the stock 180 amp alternator, we installed a second battery, connected it to the 8ga. wires coming from the front battery to keep it charged, and connected the amplifier to the battery. We are using Optima batteries with top and side terminals.
Is this the most optimal setup? ...... No ....but....
Is it okay to run like this ? ...... Yes ..... It will be just fine .....
So, go ahead and keep it simple. All will be okay.

If one battery fails it can drain the other and leave you stranded but regular maintenance is your friend. Even then dead batteries happen to people without radios in their cars.

It could, but it is unlikely ......
My diesel trucks come from factory with two batteries and it has never been an issue.
I replace batteries in pairs anyway, not one at a time.

I ended up buying a Texas star dx400. I hooked everything up this evening but haven’t tried it out yet. What’s your thoughts on this setup

I own a 955 Stryker and would not consider ANYTHING smaller than a 4 transistor 2879 comp type amp to run behind it. I DEFINITELY WOULD NOT !!! run that TS 400 with your radio . Texas Star reccomends the MAX input to that amp be 4 watts carrier and 20 watts max PEP drive. This is listed on the Texas Star webpage FYI . 20180416_115300.png

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated