• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

68xl dead key issues

Bigshow26

Oct 13, 2016
I have uniden 68xl from around 2001 baught it new had a peak and tune done at that time. Dead key was around 4 or 5 watts swinging around 18 watts. Radio has not been opened back up since peak and tune when it was new. I noticed other day it was pegging the meter on radio. I hadn't check swr in awhile so i did and check the power my reading on dead key is showing around 12 watts and swing is around 28 watts. Local contacts still says sounds good and clear but can this cause damage to radio. Thanks in advance I do appreciate any info.any idea what may have happened to cause this

Last edited:

Check the power supply. Sounds as if you're using it on a DC power supply that has had a regulator failure, and the radio is now running from 20 Volts or more.

Maybe?

If it is, the radio won't survive it for long.

Or are you seeing this power in a vehicle running from the charging system?

A coax cable that has the shield connection coming loose inside a connector can also cause this sort of reading. Will usually boost your SWR as well if this is the cause.

Reactions: LeapFrog
Ok thanks for the reply nomad was thinking maybe i could open radio up turn power down. I'll check wires and conections if cant find anything wrong i also have an old cobra 29 side mike think early 80s model it lost transmit. I got it from a friend he baught it new said all thats been done was a simple peak and tune guess i ll send both off to see if they can be fixed. Really like the looks of that cobra it worked great until it quit transmitting.

What Nomadradio is saying is, Nothing to do with "wires" per se. If you are volting the radio, You will kill it. No more, And I mean no more than 14.7 VDC and thats PUSHING it.... Ideal is 12.5 -14.5 VDC steady and clean. A 68 doesn't do 12 DK and swing into 28 off just a "peak and tune" suddenly. Something either died like a regulator in the power supply, Alternator, etc... Or a component. If you lost the shield on the coax, It will show killer power because there is no load (resistance) to RF. The SO-239 on the back has a RF impedance of 50 ohms. Your final looks for a 50 ohm load. No load, No resistance, wide open throttle causing problems.
RF resistance is NOT the same as DC resistance. Honestly, Could be a number of things is the radio or setup causing this.
Your best and safest option is, Turn off the radio, leave it off, put it in a box and send it to a reputable and honest tech like Mike Houston in TX or Mikes Radio Repair in PA. They'll set you up right and fix your radio right. The hack shacks are finally being exposed for what they are and they can't stand it. No such thing as local techs now.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.