• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

6BQ5 red plating in a JB12 ?

I see what looks like a wiring hazard, with the yellow wire looking as if the bare part could touch one end of the soldered-in fuse. This would be a bad idea.

In the shadow under your finger there should be a filter capacitor tucked under the tie strip lugs. Its positive end will be soldered to a ground lug, and the negative end to the lug where the diode's UNbanded end is soldered. If that capacitor fails, the bias voltage will fall basically in half, more or less. None of the electrolytic caps we can see in the pic appear to have been upgraded since this unit was built 40-plus years ago. That kind of component is not meant to last even half that long. Sometimes they do, and break down in a more-exciting way after you put them back into service after years of sitting on a shelf. Changing them all, or "re-capping" as they call it is the only sensible strategy if you want to use the amplifier.

Your description of the relay problem hinges on one clue. When you unkey the mike and lose your receive, does the relay go "click" when released? Or does it just stay silently keyed up after you unkey the radio?

If you hear it go "click" every time you release the mike, cleaning the contact points with a paper strip soaked in solvent may fix the fault. And if the relay is staying activated, and won't go "click" when you release the mike you could try changing the 6AQ5 tube to see if that makes the relay release properly.

Yeah Nomadradio the relay was and is releasing maybe it just wasn't making good contact heck it may even be the one in the other box or radio that was giving me the issue I am not sure yet, I will clean them all as I have done that before. The yellow wire you see is actually unsoldered right now and that's why it looks that way as I unsoldered it to test further I was just holding it there for the photo to show where the wire actually goes is all, and yeah I will look for that little cap they must have it tucked under there good as I didn't see it ‍♂️ I agree that I need to recap the entire unit ! Also is the cap that you are referring to the large 100 mfd 150 VDC cap under the fuse there in the photo ? Thanks Screenshot_20230821-071308_Gallery.jpg

The JB12 RB was preceeded by the JB12A. The JB12A was a linear amp, and was declared illegal by the FCC. Wawasee rewired the JB12 as a receive booster to make it legal to sell. The wiring changes were shown in the operating instruction sheet included with a new amp.

wawa1.png
wawa2.png

I wanted to let everyone know that I hadn't forgot about this thread and that I was waiting for the cap to come in and it arrived today and I am thrilled to announce the JB12 is fixed and no more red plating! I replaced that cap under the rail Nomadradio and it did the trick ! Thanks everyone for the help and great replies ! I also replaced a couple of the carbon resistors that were way out of spec .20230907_152700.jpg20230907_152625.jpg

Reactions: Dmans and TM86

dxChat
Help Users
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Everything is El Dead-o. Joy!
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Please advise me to what is a good replacement mic for my SR-497HPC... Answer: 497 is "wired like Cobra", so many choices available. That radio does not need a power mic, so purchase a stock "coffin style" mic with a decent cord, like the ones that Astatic uses. The Superstar DM-507 is my go-to. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3050474478...adANq91JSiEEnz8EGqPJRBloTgEyaVsBoCtoMQAvD_BwE $12.99 + .99 cent shipping.