• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

6m Larcan Conversion

Hahah that would be nice,

also about the ft847 internal power adjustment, i had heard rumors about a spike that the 847 sends out the moment it is put into tx, that the harris amps would go into standby from, even at its lowest power level, i did not think of the internal power adjustment, however, i wanted a safe way to have an attenuator, but a little head room, i did not like the bird prices, i was going to use to-220 style resistors, then i came across this little gem

Florida RF Labs: RF Attenuator - Fixed: Florida RF Labs: 33-1003-06.00: Attenuator, Fixed, Flange, DC to .75 GHz, 6dB, 100W, BeO,

they dont seem to *like* to sell one piece, but i got them to ship one to Canada to the wife, ez peasy lemon squeezy, now i have 6db of attenuation, which leaves me some headroom. after i find my perfect drive level, i will use the internal adjustment to cap it off where i normal set my dial on the front. that way it will be a fool proof hands-free turnover to QRO.

Sequencer, power supply, relay, numerous meters, bird meter, slugs, etc etc etc arrived today, im just waiting on a dual line section to ship with one of my long over due antennas, cabinet construction should begin this week. cant wait to put this on the air.

Well here are some pics

a couple questions, i have been ASSURED this relay has been used many times for 6m QRO amplifiers, but as you see the leads inside of it, would i benefit by changing those wires to mini coax?

still waiting on my dual line section

I went with rectangle 30ua meters for the built in bird slugs because i liked how they matched my volt and amp meter much better.

sequencer is the pcb in the middle

i know the low pass wont handle the power, but i like old drake stuff so i ordered it anyway..

also got the bird 43 from a forum member as i felt it would be handy.

switches will be emergency shut off, and standby/transmit

Attachments

• amp stuff.jpg
    amp stuff.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 213
  • amp1234.jpg
    amp1234.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 207
  • amp222.jpg
    amp222.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 200
The rating of the relay has nothing to do with it.

It's an impedance matching thing. Those types of relays often do not play well with 10 meters, and certainly not 6 meters. There will probably be a mismatch between amplifier and transmitter. And transmitter and antenna, if the amplifier is bypassed.

The Heathkit SB-220 Linear Amplifier had one of those types of relays, and many reported problems on 10 meters with matching.

Why?

at legal limit there is 5.4 amps @ 273 vac. A 5 amp relay at 250 volts would be fine. that relay looks to be 10 amp.

At DC or 60hz it will be fine. At 50 MHz that is another story. The contact rating is not the issue. The lead length of the wire is.

The rating of the relay has nothing to do with it.

It's an impedance matching thing. Those types of relays often do not play well with 10 meters, and certainly not 6 meters. There will probably be a mismatch between amplifier and transmitter. And transmitter and antenna, if the amplifier is bypassed.

The Heathkit SB-220 Linear Amplifier had one of those types of relays, and many reported problems on 10 meters with matching.

Agreed.There are ways to change that relay by cutting the wires off that go to the common ports and soldering jumpers across a pair of contact levers so that the normal operation of DPDT is retained but the contact arrangement is different and the lead length is very short compared to what it was before being modified. Looking for a link to a picture of it as I write this. One such mod is in an older issue of the ARRL handbook and is shown on a homebrew 2m amp.

If i use it it will be modified, At array solutions they told me they have used them down to 2m, i got it because it was available and its hard for me to get parts sent over to me, i hadn't made my mind up if i should use it yet. Dow key is still a possibility etc.

anyway here are some further advancements

Attachments

• amp face1.jpg
    amp face1.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 217
  • amp face2.jpg
    amp face2.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 183

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated