• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

7' Skipshooter (Pictures and measurements)

2NC995, in your images #2 & #3 above, can you give me the space dimension for the top coil area that is 12" inches long and the same for the coil that is 68" inch long?

If you can measure the space dimension between coils as close to center to center for the wire as you can. Modeling measures spacing between parallel wires from center to center, not edge to edge.

Your post #1 above shows 0.0415" inches for the wire diameter, so could you check this again for me? The wire diameter itself is...measured from edge to edge.

I don't mean to be so picky, but the link below clearly shows the wire for the 7' Sharpshooter is #17 gauge wire. Sharpshooter, among other CB companies, is a division of Charles Electronics. (http://macoantennas.net/).

Also see the link below for the Sharpshooter site.
http://skipshooterantennas.com/Antennas/S7.html

Last edited:
Here is the model that is close to the dimensions as I understand them. The model is a little less than 2" inches to long, but the match shows the antenna is short, R = 42.44, X = -20.44 ohms = 1.598 SWR.

This suggests the antenna a couple of inches to long, but the match shows the antenna is short. I have one more adjustment I want to change at the bottom where the solider wire section and the 3 coils are located.

I also want to try making the 4 radials a bit longer and see how that effects the match and the overall total length of the radiator. I took the 4 wire ground plane off of a 1/4 wave whip model that worked and matched well. The model is already near my maximum segment limit...so I can't play with the ground plane much. This model has over 300 wires with all the coils it has.

Attachments

• 2nc995 7' Skipshooter t FS.pdf
    566.1 KB · Views: 30
Ok, Marconi:

For the wire diameter: ~0.041" is what I am measuring. Definitely not 0.450+" one would expect to see with 17 gauge. I would imagine this is actually 18 gauge with the small increase in diameter coming from the enamel.

For the top section: ~0.185" turn to turn, measured CENTER TO CENTER.

And for the bottom section measured the same way: ~1.595”

Last edited:
Reactions: Slowmover
Ok, Marconi:

For the wire diameter: ~0.041" is what I am measuring. Definitely not 0.450+" one would expect to see with 17 gauge. I would imagine this is actually 18 gauge with the small increase in diameter coming from the enamel.

For the top section: ~0.185" turn to turn, measured CENTER TO CENTER.

And for the bottom section measured the same way: ~1.595”

Thanks Dan. my current space between coils for the bottom is 1.563".

BTW I allowed for 0.053" as the thickness for the wire coating.

My top wire spacing is set at 0.201" and I will reduce the thickness for the wire coating and maybe that will allow me to get the coils closer together. This may be the difference and give me a better match without getting and error for wires that are to short or too close together.

Thanks for your patience and your help.

so question to all that use the skipshooter anyone ever put a spring under it.. i ask cause with everything on these days you gotta use drive thrus.. ...so i thought with the spring it would give and bend back outta way till i cleared.

thank,s guys for the work in this.. ive used topload antennas in the past,, they seem to work well.. not much on power handling or bandwith. i may have to give this one a try
According the their site, they claim that the 7' skip shooter is supposed to be able to handle 5k.
http://skipshooterantennas.com/Antennas/S7.html
The S7 SkipShooter® antenna is 84” long and has a proven high-performance design
that will withstand 5000 watts.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated