• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

7' Skipshooter (Pictures and measurements)

I don't think he was talking about heat dissipation of a nail - I think he was referring to this...

Because if you ran plastic, you'd have a real problem on TOP of the ROOF of your vehicle.

That's to be expected when you have light gauge wire cut to a sharp point. In post 24 the guy from skipshooter told walter that the nail dissipates heat. I still disagree with that. If an antenna needs a heatsink it's a dummy load.

You caught that too....lol.

These are simply outstanding Fiberglas antennas.

CB Radio.

Mobile.

Really, who's running more than 500W going down the road? Has legitimate business at stake?

The exceptions (and Shootout weirdness: sign me up) are pretty well going to build almost everything, aren’t they?

I can’t see wanting to be a competitor without my knowing every fraction of a millimeter onto or off of my antenna — any dimension — and that precludes factory-built.

Might start there, though.

A). Kales Cowtown Antennas have lots of available pieces to mess with.

B). Same for a Breedlove Machine Shop antenna mount.

C). But I believe I’d want to begin by having an amplifier able to run REAL REAL HAPPY. (Do nothing to it but verify dead-nuts correct operation).

D). By comparison, the other aspects of the rig are “easy” to fiddle with given the radio is also correct.

E). Messing with aluminum stock (whatever) doesn’t pose much threat to wallet or sanity given a separate mobile test rig to work out problems.

But running down the highway? Most likely no more than the 100-250W range?

A collection of every height Skipshooter Antenna In pairs might set you back, what, $200.

CB ever gets popular again it’ll be like $1500 stereo speaker wiring:

A CB antenna straight off a Dryden NASA blueprint. Yessiree. This week only at the introductory price of $200.

I’m having HA boil up the boilerplate copy like them cornpone 1970s advertisements would have caught fire you opened the magazine page.

Hell, there’s gonna be so many logic traps and pulling the skin off of tech definitions in the ad copy, it’ll be better than an episode of Twilight Zone in the forum “discussions”.

Maybe I can get “John Titor” to re-appear from the future. Professor Phate.

Last edited:
Yep. I botched this badly.

In another thread I discussed how this antenna tuned too low for me...below the CB band, roughly 26.5mhz (from memory).

I decided, before wrapping, I might try to change it. I took a few coils out of the top...no change. A few more...No change. And so on.

I eventually found that compressing the upper coil would raise the frequency. It seemed to me that would add inductance, but whatever.

I decided I’d rewind the whole thing with new magnet wire back to the original measurements in post 1 (this is a royal pain in the arse).

I did so, and it tuned exactly like it was originally, 26.5 MHz.

A little compression of the upper part and I was at the top of the CB band - right where I wanted.

Then shrink wrapped it, wondering how it would effect the tuning.

Well..it took the antenna directly back to 26.5 MHz. Right where I started.

Ugh.

Reactions: Slowmover
How did the shrink wrap change everything? It moved the wires as it shrunk? Just wondering.

Grabbed another pair (each) of 7’ & 6’ from a shop near Jacksonville, FL.

The seven-footers — on an aftermarket PRO COMM mount — reach to 13’ 9” off the t680 Kenworth mirror arms.

These antennas are an integral part of the best performing big truck mobile installation I’ve had.

Do you think an actual skipshooter antenna can handle the 10kw claim without issues ? Im thinking more like 1kw, no?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.