• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

73khz/136khz

bob85

Supporting Member
Mar 30, 2005
england
has anybody ever experimented with 73khz?
we need a NOV to allow us the permission to do it properly but i have played with it a little years back,
i used my sig gen dialed to 73khz and modulated the vco with a cd player, feeding that into a car amplifier that produced way less than its 100w per ch rating on 73khz,
i never used anything larger than a piece of wire draped around the furnature as an antenna because 73khz fm is naughty to say the least and i wanted to ensure nobody else would hear what i was doing
i set deviation low and managed to transmit crystal clear mono audio from the house to the car in the yard about 40-50yards away,
im sure i was transmitting further but i did not think an inverter would be any good to power a 73khz receiver away from the mains due to the rf garbage switchmode psu's and inverters spew out over the lf through hf bands, the fields were wet and i was not gonna risk getting stuck in a muddy field to see how far it was working,
i ran a mains extension to the car from the tractor shed and used my yaesu ft767 as the receiver ( the only hf set i had that would receive right down to the 50hz mains hum ).
the idea of 73khz fascinated me from the day i saw a pic of a ham with a coil wrapped on a 60 gallon plastic drum with wooden spacing lats and hundreds of feet of longwire antenna complaining that his antenna was so small its efficiency was extremely low,
his dream was to have several thousand meters of wire strung out over the fields behind his house.

Thats pretty low freq stuff..... I can see the advantage and why the interest.... with such a long wavelegth and the funky propagation thats somehwhat possible with VLF freqs you could do alot of things.

At one time I did want to build (or buy) a VLF reciever because I had an interested in monitoring some of project HAARP's transmissions but never had the time and I could'nt find anything commercial that I wanted.

I remeber seeing a Tesla coil that was modulated with some of the very high audio freqs that were inaudible and bordering close to that freq range. Maybey not quite that high LOL but creeping past very very high audio.

I wish I had more time to play around with VLF.... the furthest I got with it was looking into recievers and no txing.

Take care Bob

Bushwacker

Is there any VLF that is intelligable? I found a list of the TXers, don't know if it's encrypted, don't wanna mod stuff to hear the same sorta thing that is TXed on VHF control.

In the USA, the FCC will never permit the use of such frequencies because they are used by electric utilities for remote control over their power lines. The chance of interference to these utilities are too great.

Apparently in other countries where the utilities are not using this frequency range for remote control over powerline, amateurs are allowed to use them. Such as in the UK they are allowed 1 watt ERP. Yet achieving 1 watt ERP is quite a feat considering the poor efficiency of antennas at these frequencies.

Is there any VLF that is intelligable? I found a list of the TXers, don't know if it's encrypted, don't wanna mod stuff to hear the same sorta thing that is TXed on VHF control.

The stuff I wanted to hear wasn't really intelligable..... more like modulated tones and waveforms tx'ed from a High Altitude Aurora Research station in Alaska. I was kinda interested in monitoring some of their transmissions and different "types" of transmissions. I can pick up some of the transmissions at a higher freq.. but I was never able to check out any of the VLF stuff. I had an interest in what they were doing to the ionosphere during both military and scientific testing. But again, those transmissions are not audio... just modulated tones.
I've never tried to monitor any military stuff at vlf.... I would assume that its encrypted.... I have no idea whats out there for monitoring audio....the stuff I have heard was incrypted, just plain audio tones or "natural noise" in the elf range.
I really don't know what other Hams are doing on these freqs.
The only thing I really do regularly that has anything to do with 73khz/136khz is programming in encoding/decoding into repeaters or radios with tones in that range.

I have no idea whats out there audio wise..... the only reason I had for monitoring those freqs was to monitor when HAARP was transmitting in certain modes ( military testing mode, scientific experimentation mode etc etc).
My only interest or reason for monitoring had to do with my interest in project Haarp.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.