• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

75 amp alternator :( how much amp?

B

BOOTY MONSTER

my montero only has a 75 amp alternator and i want to be able to run at least a few hundred watts from my radio . i know a 2 pill will do that but id like to go 4 pill possibly even 1x4 or straight 6 pill but i think thats too much for the system . i cant afford $300 + for a new alternator and id like to avoid multiple batteries (if my system will even charge multiple batteries) but that is something i could afford to do if my current alternator is capable .
what do yall think i would be safe running currently ???
if i added a 2nd battery would that help much and what could i run then?
thanks
p.s. im leaning twoards class ab amps......probally texas star and maybe powerplate

Is that really "75 watts" (that'd be 5.4 amperes at 14 volts), or is it 75 AMPERES?

A 75 watt alternator wouldn't even charge your battery properly, and run the headlights at the same time.

350 watts is enough for me anyways cause then youll start
getting into areas ya mentioned in your post above bigger altenators,extra batteries,gobs of grounding.put imho 350
watts with the right antenna and that outta be a nice setup

2879s seem to be amp hogs , 75 amp alt , I think you could do just fine with 4 x 1446s or 4 x 454s or 4 x 2290s without a problem at all , you just need to know your limitations . No a guy that runs 4 x 2290s on a 55 amp alt , small car for many years now . He doesn't use his air when he's using his box and lights at night are not a problem as long as his car is running , that's just it , the car needs to be running all the time for the most part but I think that is true for most amps. Mans got to know his limitations.

If you don't want to add anything, I would recommend changing your battery to an AGM style (Optima, Exide Orbital, Deka Intimidator. etc.) and add at least a 4 guage charging wire from your alt. to the bat (get away from having to run all of your amps through a fusible link). You should be able run up to 500~600w on SSB with that setup with out too much flickering when the engine is running.

If you add a bat, do so as close to the amp as possible and run it in parallel with your starting bat with at least 2 gauge (bigger better) wire. That should get you up to 1KW on SSB without breaking a sweat. Your alt light will come on momentarily, but the bats will handle the transient amp peaks.

AM power handling capability will be lower due to it being a constant drain.

My 70amp alt and 3 Orbitals in parallel handle my +150amp SSB peaks just fine.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.