• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

.790 MHz check (TP10) continues to widely oscillate

igmo

Feb 2, 2013
Leesburg, Va
Going through alignment procedures beginning at synthesizer on a 148GTL (5-pin side mic) from Sams Photofact. All good so far until I check for .790mhz at TP10. Reading is all over the place. Going to voltage checks next but perhaps someone has a tip.

Never have learned to fix PLL circuits without a 'scope. If the signal at TP10 is too low, the PLL chip has a hard time locking onto the selected channel frequency. Might be what's going on here, might not.

I find that L21 is frequently adjusted way off from its proper peak setting. Since it won't affect either the S-meter or the wattmeter in a direct way when you turn it, a tweaker may leave that one set in some random position after "trying" it to see if it boosted a meter reading.

A 'scope at TP10 is the best way to get the slug in L21 set at its proper peak. Lacking that, a RF Voltmeter would also tell you this.

A DC/AC multi meter won't.

We check this first whenever we see this kind of PLL misbehaving.

Never have learned to fix PLL circuits without a 'scope. If the signal at TP10 is too low, the PLL chip has a hard time locking onto the selected channel frequency. Might be what's going on here, might not.

I find that L21 is frequently adjusted way off from its proper peak setting. Since it won't affect either the S-meter or the wattmeter in a direct way when you turn it, a tweaker may leave that one set in some random position after "trying" it to see if it boosted a meter reading.

A 'scope at TP10 is the best way to get the slug in L21 set at its proper peak. Lacking that, a RF Voltmeter would also tell you this.

A DC/AC multi meter won't.

We check this first whenever we see this kind of PLL misbehaving.

Agreed and thank you! Incidentally, I found the issue…a faulty connector on my freq counter. Driving me nuts until it finally broke away.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.