• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

8908 to EL509 tube socket swap

Danzik

Oct 18, 2022
Hi, I am doing a tube socket swap on a Hy-gain 644 footwarmer which is going from 8908 tubes to EL509 tubes and am a little confused on where the pins are supposed to go from the EL509 sockets, for example there are 2 G2 on the EL509 " pins 6 and 3" so do they both have to be connected or can pin 6 be left alone ? Also if you look at the circuit board for the 8908 tubes pin 6 is basically not going anywhere and is a dead circuit so is it ok to leave one of the "G3" disconnected on the EL509 then ? Thanks Screenshot_20221206-110445_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20221206-121030_Gallery.jpg

The tube grids that have more than one pin connected to them can be used with just one of the pins. This is why pin 6 has no connection. Pin 2 alone is sufficient to complete the circuit for G3.

The EL509 pins are fatter than the typical american-type large 9-pin tube. It's called a "magnoval" base. You can use a more-typical american-type 9-pin tube socket, but don't try to insert an american-type 9-pin tube into that socket later on. The spring contacts will have been spread out too far to make good contact with the skinnier pin used in the american-type tubes.

There were fleabay sellers who had magnoval sockets listed back in the day. Haven't looked for that item in a while. Might be harder to find these days.

Let us know how this turns out. The 8908 is bona fide unobtanium.

The tube grids that have more than one pin connected to them can be used with just one of the pins. This is why pin 6 has no connection. Pin 2 alone is sufficient to complete the circuit for G3.

The EL509 pins are fatter than the typical american-type large 9-pin tube. It's called a "magnoval" base. You can use a more-typical american-type 9-pin tube socket, but don't try to insert an american-type 9-pin tube into that socket later on. The spring contacts will have been spread out too far to make good contact with the skinnier pin used in the american-type tubes.

There were fleabay sellers who had magnoval sockets listed back in the day. Haven't looked for that item in a while. Might be harder to find these days.

Let us know how this turns out. The 8908 is bona fide unobtanium.

10-4 ! and thank you

Svetlana EL509/6KG6 High Performance Beam Power Tetrode

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated