• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

897d

First off, even a tech isn't permitted to operate this radio legally. Unless it is in the 2 meter portion of the band - or a limited SSB usage on 10 meter. In which case, that is the WRONG antenna to do that with.

Second, hooking up a CB antenna confirms that you don't know what you are doing. Every frequency need an antenna that is resonant to that freq to be able to TX or RX on. if this isn't done corectly, you will damage the output circuitry and will render it useless.

Third, to operate all of its available freq's LEGALLY, you need a General Ham license.

Fourth, IF this radio can be used on the CB/11 meter band, it would need to be modified to do so. That is also illegal to do.

Fifth, go buy a CB so that you can use it to talk on -or- get your General Ham license and wait to use this radio. You can listen on it with the right antenna - but you cannot TX on it legally.

The Yaesu FT-897 is a portable/mobile Ham radio; I'm not even sure that it can be modded for extended TX/RX freq's...
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/1897.html

Last edited:
As a tech he has use of this radio on 80, 40, 15 meter Cw. On 10 he has CW, digital up to 28.300,and voice from 300-28.500. He then has full privilages on 6 and 2 meter as well as 440. All legal for a tech.
And the expanded tx mod is on Mods.dk
Rich

I know 3 techs in my area that uses this radio and several general class or higher that use it,they all really like this radio.

I am looking really hard at this radio for my base set up when I finally get around to building my station.

With all the positive feedback that I am hearing on this radio this is the one for me personally.

And as long as the radio isnt used outside the privliges that the tech operator has from what I can gather he can use the radio

just my 2 cents worth

Wow Rob, you ran the guy off with that response...I thought I was on a different forum for a sec...

I have this rig - I use it primarily as a portable / backup rig. I purchased the LDG auto tuner that attaches to the side of it. It's a decent all mode rig, and don't forget that it also has 440Mhz in it. It's a lot of "bang for the buck", although it's not as easy to use as it could be, nor is it's receiver as good as more expensive rigs. But there is still a lot to like about it. I did a more complete write-up a while back here:

http://www.worldwidedx.com/hf-bands-hf-rigs/33250-yaesu-yaesu-897d-review.html

Got an email from Clinton, Will be helping as much as i can. Wants to get his general as soon as he can. In the meantime he wants to listen to the hf bands.
Rich

Wow Rob, you ran the guy off with that response...I thought I was on a different forum for a sec...

Sorry about that...
A family of lawyers here - always ready to quote the law...

I got the same hazing from other Hams. I have a Icom IC-718 that can be modded for 11 meters- but why would I want to ruin my General license privileges? I thought it would be best to let him know now before the 'qrz guys' REALLY drill him a new one...They would be far worse than my tirade...
:headbang

Sorry Clinton - you've got a really nice radio. Just take it all a step at a time...

A local Amateur op who's also an old High School buddy of mine has an 897 and loves it.

I gave him a Yaesu MD-100 desk mic for it and it sounds excellent. (He has it set to FILT <ON> High Emphasis <OFF> bass Filter <OFF>)
He added the 2.3kHz Collins filter which increased both the audio quality and receive Selectivity.

It's a great little rig, and it sure outperformed the 706G I never really liked and now have no more.
I've also sold my FT-100D and am replacing it with either an 857 or an 897 (same board) asap.

You'll love the way you can tailor the TX & RX carrier offset for just the right TX / RX tone balance.

I am also interested in purchasing the Yaesu FT-897d. I currently hold a Technician class license-- (I am taking the General class exam a week from today)..

How does the FT-897d compare to others with the same features in the same price range? I really like the 160-10m (+60m), 6m, 2m, and 70cm all in one radio.

Do you think because this radio is a multiband unit, that some important (and essential) other features were left behind, that are found in a single band unit?

This is going to be my first multiband radio.. I wanted to go with something that I won't "outgrow" in a couple months, but something that I am not going to be frustrated with because it is really difficult to operate also..

Do you think the Yaesu FT-897d is the right radio for me? (after I get the General ticket?)

I really like this radio since it is PORTABLE, and can be used with the battery pack (for emergencies or field day)

please include some recommendations of other radios that are "comparable" to the FT-897d.

Thanks,

Charlie
KC9QAJ

Last edited:
I think DC to Daylight rigs like the 897/857 and the Icom IC7000, and the Kenwood TS-2000 are great radios for new hams. They let you get your feet wet in all different bands, and then you can decide where to go from there.

Ham radio in a box.

The Icom 706 mk 2 radio is another one,..all band all mode,alot of these radios out there in use

Alinco dx70 is a 160 to 6 meter,then ya just have to grab a 2 meter or 2 meter /440 rig to fill out the remainder of the bands (from what I have heard the dx70 is an easy radio to operate ,so to me it was worth mentioning,and is worth looking into )

Kenwood 2000

and I know there are more than the ones that I have listed...just take your time and be sure to look at all your options ,any of the radios that the people here has mentioned or will mention are good solid rigs and if you take care of them they will last you a long time

I had to register to reply to this....

I'm a Tech with a FT897d. I tx on the frequencies allowed for my license. I Rx on just about everything, just for fun.

I'll upgrade eventually. But I'm 200 miles from a testing center.

Nothing wrong with that at all, IMHO.

Luke (y)

I had to register to reply to this....

I'm a Tech with a FT897d. I tx on the frequencies allowed for my license. I Rx on just about everything, just for fun.

I'll upgrade eventually. But I'm 200 miles from a testing center.

Nothing wrong with that at all, IMHO.

Luke (y)

There IS nothing wrong with it. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, either. :censored:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.