• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

9 db of dx garble here am I alone?

BammBamm

Instigators ...173 on the southside.
May 24, 2010
Steger,Illinois
Have tried to Tx/Rx skip lately but all I'm hearing is what sounds like 3-5 people talking at the same time giving me about an S9 on the meter and I can't clarify anyone. Every now and then I will get bits and pieces of a person and have heard NY and KS but have no chance of a contact. I even hooked up the old 949 to see if it was the radio with the same results but only about a S7. Tried both in the mobile with a 102 SS and got about the same results. Am I alone or is this just a spell in conditions right now?:confused:

Have tried to Tx/Rx skip lately but all I'm hearing is what sounds like 3-5 people talking at the same time giving me about an S9 on the meter and I can't clarify anyone. Every now and then I will get bits and pieces of a person and have heard NY and KS but have no chance of a contact. I even hooked up the old 949 to see if it was the radio with the same results but only about a S7. Tried both in the mobile with a 102 SS and got about the same results. Am I alone or is this just a spell in conditions right now?:confused:

It is the "conditions" or solar cycle 24 is starting to get into action.

It will only get more crowded and soon should have 24 hour openings on the higher frequencies.

Enjoy it only comes around about every 11 years.

at the peak (may-june 2013) you will need some power to even talk a few miles down the road. shouldn't be as bad as the last one but you will be dealing with +60db from sunrise to sunset of static chatter. i strongly suggest talking am down a few below 1 or ssb up on .555 or around there. there is much less congestion, and the people that run there are willing to have conversations.

the last one i needed a four transistor amp to talk about 6 miles in the mobile. the base faired better due to the antenna.

there used to be a net that would operate 27.600 lsb(i think) on sundays am, was nation wide but the net op was somewhere on the east cost, dont remember the name. does anyone else know if there still out there?

It is the "conditions" or solar cycle 24 is starting to get into action.

Wavrider is pretty much on with his statement. I've noticed the same thing.

How about this; I have heard guys talking on the bowl when I've been 490 K.C.'s higher and these guys are 3000 miles away on the east coast!! It seems to happen more with the S. Eastern states for me on this end.

Sooo, it will happen when we have really strong condition's.

The best way to cut through a lot of chatter and get selective as to where you want to talk, is put up a six element beam. But a four element beam will do in a pinch. Even a three element has side and rear rejection too - just less than the others mentioned. There is less static noise on a beam too. Talking about a horizontal beam - BTW.

You have a beam - right?
Or - you haven't put it up yet?

Best way to cut through all the skip to talk local is to get your ham license and move up to VHF/UHF :) :)

Someone had to say it!:tongue:

Reactions: 1 person
I have a 103C but don't have it up as I am slowly packing for my move to my new home in a month or less. And Moleculo we won't hold it against you for saying that but as I've said before I don't see me becoming a "professional ham" as I prefer to be a "professional CB'er" as Booty Monster once said it.:D:D

RADIO MANNERS

if it really bothers me that much I just do the OFF switch and the TV sounds really clear now no jerks in the background talking or cussing, whistling, audiooooooooing etc, does anybody own a dummy load anymore?? for tuning?? Did the common IQ number for radio operators go to like 5 on 11 meters?? It really bothers me all the people tuning, whistling, audioooooooing, where did radio manners go?? Up in smoke like Cheech and Chong??

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned