• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

90d Inverted Vee

Alabama Buckeye

Dogma Heretic
Jul 29, 2022
Magic City Alabama
I'm turning my opinion of the 90 degree inverted V (I-Vee) towards that of more the seasoned; I think it was Mike who said the 90d was omni-direction. My 90d, at 13' AGL, is oriented Oregon to Jamaica (MOL) while Nova Scotia and Mexco City are L&C. It's not as directional as I'd thought. And them thar I-Vee calculators :eek: POS (shite)!

The importance of Tuning height AGL. Always of great importance, what minmal height should the antenna be tuned at. I presumed the feed point should be a 1/4 wavelength AGL, for an I-Vee; which makes it quite easy to change the leg lengths at waist height; Not so! Raise that bad boy up to 13' and the SWR goes from 1.05:1 (balanced) to 1.30:1 on Chnl 1 and 1.05:1 on 40. Yes, yes too short. It's actually a flat 1:1 on 38; suggesting narrow bandwidth, which may or nor improve with height.

Yes, close enough for goobermint work. Will settle for 1.10:1 across the band.

Chnl 01 DK80W 1.30:1
Chnl 40 DK50W 1.05:1
Doesn't matter whether its a barefoot radio DK10W or 2W into a 2 Pill foot warmer. SWR is the same.
Can't figure the lopsided DK80W & SWR.

I'd actually lengthened the legs another 1 inch and the SWR went the other way, too long. Response was to back up 1/2" which I did and then raise it to its testing rest position, on a tree limb, of 13'; concluding all well and good. Not so, as previous stated.

If the SWR jumps to 1.30:1 up at 30' and wearing foot warmers, then so be it.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.