• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

959 frequency display

ddbddg1

Dec 18, 2011
sheridan wyoming
i want to change the frequency display in my dx 959 to blue.
i found some replacements on fleabay but the trouble is, i dont know what size to get.
i dont want to take it apart untill i get the parts so i cant tell the size.
has anyone done this before and know what size i need?
thanks

i want to change the frequency display in my dx 959 to blue.
i found some replacements on fleabay but the trouble is, i dont know what size to get.
i dont want to take it apart untill i get the parts so i cant tell the size.
has anyone done this before and know what size i need?
thanks

Unless the display is simply plug and play that's a de-soldering and soldering job you may want to think twice about. Then again maybe your the solder King..;)

Unless the display is simply plug and play that's a de-soldering and soldering job you may want to think twice about. Then again maybe your the solder King..;)

Not only that, but it's a double sided board. I usually use some nice solder wick. Or if I am out of solder wick I take some shield from an old piece of coax. Another method that works pretty well is to cover the traces with a bunch of solder and then tip the board 90° allowing the hot solder to roll off the board, it takes most of the solder with it, leaves the board CLEAN and usually the part you are working with will kinda fall out. I would not use this method with delicate parts that you intend to reuse. There is also the 'Solder Sucker' method, I have never had good luck with that

im usually pretty good with a soldering iron and i have all the tools to go with it.
i been doing it for a long time...the one thing you wont find in any tool kit tho....a steady hand!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.