• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

980 Screen Scratch Fix

Another Angle

different angle with camera flash. I don't have the 980 installed but it does yield the same results. I can post a pic later of the 980 with a flash but it looks axacy the same as the grant quality wise. I'd be skeptic too if I hadn't used it first hand. could always do a test run on something else first. Its a sensitive screen protector I actually messed up on the first one and had to re-apply it but once you get the feel of it it's really easy. It may not work on large or deep scratches but it does work on the micro scratches these radios are prone to getting.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 13
980 before and After

Before screen protector. The flash over highlights the scratches but they are still bad. This is from scratch resistant wiping cloths. That's how sensitive the 980's screen is.

I'm at home now and pulled out the 980. The pic highlights all the dust on the radio but there is no micro scratches anymore.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    549.7 KB · Views: 21
Sleepwalkr, you do know there is a film on the radio right? It peels off then you add the screen protector. The thin plastic scratches easy and make it look as though the screen is scratch, which yours may be. Just be sure the factory sticker or plastic is off the front face before you add the new screen protector.

it looks like you bought a 3 pack. don't be discouraged if your first try is a failure. Just peel it off and start fresh. You should have enough to do six screens IF it's the universal pack like I bought. the package is different than the one I used but its been a while ago that I bought mine so zagg might have changed the looks. mine was the one with the solution and the squeegee. Simon Posted pictures of both my radios on his website for those interested.

Reactions: 222DBFL
Ya I peeled befor I shipped it out to be peaked and tuned. I think it got scratched up in during shipping. Stupid me, I just got it back today too.

I wish I had seen this post a year ago. I like my 980 but the face looks terrible now with all the scratches on it. I will be giving the zagg screen protector a try this weekend. If it works as well as their earbuds it will be great. Thanks AL567 for the info.

The zagg screen does work that is for sure. When this post fist came out I had the universal pack as well, although mine isn't scratched, you can't tell there is a screen protector there unless you look close. And yes they come with the squeegee. Make sure the screen is clean before applying. Let me rephrase that, read the entire directions before even cutting one!!! This will help avoid messing up. Good stuff though and works great as my screen still looks like new!!! And mine is 3yrs old. Same screen protector that's been on it for just about the whole time. A couple years anyway. No peeling issues even in the FL heat!!!

Reactions: Sleepwalkr
222DBFL is correct the screen needs to be 100 percent free of dust or it will show. I had to re-do mine a couple of times because of this. But patience is the key. And Keep it wet while sliding into place or it will stick.

Reactions: 222DBFL
I have a phone that is 3 years or maybe 4 years old. It is a Samsung Rugby Pro, anyway I bought an Otterbox for it plus a screen protector just for the few times I have the phone out of the Otterbox. My phone still looks brand new. Now why didn't I think about protecting my radio? I guess I didn't think the darn thing would scratch so easily. I'll know better next time.

Thanks. My Walmart had two Zagg kits marked down to $1.00 because they were opened and only had 1 screen protector in each.
Bought it and it works great!

Last edited:
I just did mine and it works great, I am glad I found this post al567. I think it was made in 2014 the sn starts with 480144 and it doesnt have a beep off option.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.