• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

9lbs of noise on my radio,help!!

That IS NOT power line noise. It is coming from an electronic device. I linked your video to my AEP contact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXNm4lyFND0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Also, send this guy a link, then give him a call. Leave him a message, then he'll call you back. Mike is the guy that trains most utility RFI dudes. He is a very nice guy and lives for this kind of shit.

http://www.rfiservices.com/

Also, send Gene Preston, K5GP an email link of your video. Gene is a retired Texas Utility electrical engineer. He is the shiznit that schools people on RFI. He has several publications on the topic. His email is on QRZ. He also lives for this shit and will return your email.

I have talked to both gentleman on several occasions, they are very helpful.

Anyways, that HASH noise is close, either coming from your house or very close by. I expect the source to be within 100 yards of your shack.

I'll let you know when my AEP contact makes a comment on your video.

Just to be safe...check your PL connectors on both ends for solid contacts.

Reactions: 1 person
Can you go up on the roof of your house and reach the U clamps on your antenna ?.....

If you can, Id replace that ground wire and go with some 10ga wire, put it under the bottom U bolt where it mounts on the mast pipe, and run it down the pipe to the grd.....and maybe run another grd wire off the bottom of the mast pipe to a grd rod too...and clean the rust off the grd rod....may not have a good enough grd on it...

may have a bad transformer on one of the poles, close to your house causing the noise too..

Sure hope someone finds out where the noise is coming from, that's a bummer for sure..

Radioman if you have not already done so, I would try running either of your transceivers on DC from a battery and kill your AC main breaker. That would definitely eliminate your home as the source. That is some stout rfi for sure.

That IS NOT power line noise. It is coming from an electronic device. I linked your video to my AEP contact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXNm4lyFND0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Also, send this guy a link, then give him a call. Leave him a message, then he'll call you back. Mike is the guy that trains most utility RFI dudes. He is a very nice guy and lives for this kind of shit.

RFI Services - Radio Frequency Interference and Power Line Noise

Also, send Gene Preston, K5GP an email link of your video. Gene is a retired Texas Utility electrical engineer. He is the shiznit that schools people on RFI. He has several publications on the topic. His email is on QRZ. He also lives for this shit and will return your email.

I have talked to both gentleman on several occasions, they are very helpful.

Anyways, that HASH noise is close, either coming from your house or very close by. I expect the source to be within 100 yards of your shack.

I'll let you know when my AEP contact makes a comment on your video.

Just to be safe...check your PL connectors on both ends for solid contacts.

i have the EXACT same noise on my sirio 2016 . mine is from my new flat sceern tv.
turn it off it about goes away. unplug it its completely gone. when i had my tv with the big back it didnt do that . hook up new tv it did thats how i knew. now ive seen you already
unplugged all your stuff, and didnt help . so it maybe a close neighbor with a tv ,when the
noise goes away/drops does he leave his house [work] . maybe going to bed. idk
redmancb.com has a product made by fatboy its a rfi choke that snaps on electic
devices like a tv. would it work im not sure . but i got SAME issue you do.and i can hear 20-30 miles base 2 base about it. i talk most when tv is not being used

Oatmeal I will do that, right now all I have for a ground is a 4 foot rod and the copper wire going from it to the bottom of the antenna mast so I will try the wire from the ubolt down to the ground rod for sure.

Reactions: 1 person
Okay a little update, I got up for the past 3 days at 4:45am, and right at 5:51am each time is when the noise goes from 2.5lbs to bam all the way up to 9lbs could it be a bad timer someone is running? I am going to see if I can get my vector 4000 to just slip down the top of the mast instead of clamping it to the pole will that be more like a dc ground? also I have like another 10 to 12 feet I can raise the push up pole to as well.

radioman,

you need to stop trying to solve this problem by grounding.

a 100% professional radio station style grounding system will not solve your problem.

do not waste any more time messing with the grounding/ bonding.

the ONLY thing you might want to check are the PL-259 connectors at either end of your coax.

these can be very tricky to solder correctly if you havent done very many of them, and you can inadvertently mess them up by overheating the connectors, and you wont ever see it.

so, if you happen to have another length of coax lying around, try running it from your antenna to the radio and see if it makes any difference.

if not, you are done changing things at your end.

just to clarify, i am not saying that grounding is not important, it is very important.

what i am saying is that the ground system of your antenna has nothing to do with the specific interference that you are experiencing at the moment.
OK? ok.

again you said that your antenna is 35' to the tip.
by this i assume you mean the tip of the antenna, which would put the base of the antenna about 7 or 8 feet above ground.
is that right?

if so, that is a problem that you should fix if at all possible.

first, the kind of antenna you have cannot do what its supposed to do as well as it should be doing it if its not at least 25 feet above ground or so.
really it should be 36 feet to the base of the antenna for it to really perform well, but somehow im guessing that 36 feet is not in the cards at your current location.

just try and get the antenna up high enough to where the base of the antenna (where the coax connects to it) is above the roofs of your house and the surrounding houses by about 10 feet or more.

hey, if you just cant do it, you have to compromise and just do the best you can.
you can still play radio, you just wont get out near as far, and you will have a bigger problem with interference, both transmitted and received.

i am 99% positive that your interference is coming from one of your neighbors houses.
i read where you found that the interference was happening at 5:51am every day, and i think that is a good clue.
the thing is, it might not be the timer that is the problem, it might be the device that is being controlled by the timer.

you are going to have to spend some more time wandering around the neighborhood like a crazy person with a little handheld radio in your hand.

if it were me, i would build a field strength meter to take with me, and when the AM radio finds a source of RF noise, i would then take out the meter to try and pinpoint a direction/ source.

here is a link to a very simple, and easy to build field strength meter:
Project 11 - Field Strength Meters

you can build one entirely out of an old non-working CB radio.

all you need is the meter from the radio, a .001uF ceramic disc capacitor (they are labeled 104 and are all over the PC board), and a 1N34a germanium diode.
(also located throughout a CB radio, they are the large clear diodes with the black stripe at one end)

solder it up like the pictures show, add a piece of wire for an antenna, and voila! you can check/ measure the output of antennas and other Rf emitting devices.

the range will be very small, so you will have to use it after finding a noise source with the AM radio, when you are sure you are close to some RF offender.

you have said often in these threads that you didnt have these problems with your old antenna, and that seems to be leading you down the road of " it must be my new antenna that is the difference".
i doubt that very much, and believe that the difference has much more to do with the way the world has changed since you last had an antenna up.

someone close to you bought a new computer, or new speakers, or a cordless keyboard, or a cordless mouse, or a touch lamp, or a plasma TV, or any number of cheaply made, haphazardly shielded, RF spewing consumer electronics products.

there was a member on here a few years ago who called himself cominatyalive and he had one heck of a time finding and getting rid of his interference.
you might do a search on his user name and read through the two or three threads on this subject.
even if you dont get an answer from them, its good reading and you'll learn what others have tried, and what happened when they tried it.

good luck, and please post back with what you find.
LC

Reactions: 3 people
Okay so here is my update, I took my radioshack pro 97 and put it on a cb frequency and when I went to my neighbors house across the street by his electrical box I noticed he has like 6 to 8 sprinkler pipes there and man oh man did the noise and the hum get loud right in that area, so could they be going bad or is it the timer that is?

Those timers could be the culprit. The noise can radiate back in and over the lines. Or, you could just be hearing their normal field strength noise.

Most electronic devices will generate noise that can be picked up close by, but not be heard several feet or yards away.

i guess it could be either of those things.

what time is his timer set for? if its set for 5:50am then you might have just found your culprit.

if you and your neighbor are friendly, then maybe you can have him unplug the timer while you are listening to the radio and see if it makes a difference.

good luck,
LC

Okay so I went to there house and the wife was home but the husband was at work, so I asked her if they had anything on timers she said yet but she said she was not sure what time the bubblers on the side were set for so I went over to them and held my scanner over them on 27.405mhz and man where they putting out a hum, and the wiring looks horrible and the ground that is running to the water line coming out of the house is full of corrosion and the electrical lines are all taped up and running all over the place, I tried upload some pictures but it said they were to large so if anyone wants to see them pm me with your e-mail address.

Wait for the man to come home. Have him shut it on and off while your listening in your shack. There's plenty of free online file hosting sites. Change resolution on your camera.

Okay, here is my new update, I had called the power company and told them about my issue, and yesterday they sent out 2 bucket trucks and the noise is gone!!!!

the tech said the power pole had bad staples causing copper wires to rub against each other and cause some serous arching

so I want to say thank you for everyone who helped me with advice about this issue

also to widowmaker1 in Las Vegas he gave me some great advice as well, so thank you all!!!!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.