• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A Bit of Luck Yesterday

guitar_199

Mar 8, 2011
Deer Park, TX
Made an "every few weeks check" on OfferUp yesterday and found this listed about 2 hours earlier in my home town. Contacted the seller and it turns out he lived 3 minutes from my house. He had it listed for $30 and I just COULD NOT resist! A Midland 79-892 40 Channel SSB radio from around the 23 to 40 channel switchover time. PLL02A PLL in it and, of all things, the clarifier is on the microphone.

I put it on the BK 2040 and it appears to receive well in AM and on either sideband. S Meter works!

Just because it was quick to get to, I put it on the dummy load/spectrum analyzer and get a good strong carrier in AM. SSB just "looks a little wonkey". The carrier is suppressed but I think it could be better. Still looks a little too high in SSB.

AM XMT looks ok.

SSB XMT .... again looks weird to me. When I transmit on EITHER sideband... I see sideband peaks on both sides of the carrier position. At this point I am wondering about any necessary alignment in the balanced modulator area... OR.... any problems in "carrier shift" circuits that might cause the carrier to NOT shift and a little of both sidebands shows up in the output. But here again... the peaks look good power wise.

So, it is another one in my stash of radios to fool with in retirement (maybe sooner)... but at LEAST it works to some degree right up front.

And, yes, it IS awfully dirty but not badly banged up... and did have the original mic and power cord.

[edited to add]
Oh... and it has this little CW McCall signature tag mounted on the top of the case. Ahhh... those were the times!

eriEZcs.jpg

Last edited:

guitar_199,
Sounds just like the things I have been doing lately. Maybe I need to get a hobby-Oh wait, this is my hobby!

Nice score!!

David

I've got one of those that someone "converted" the RF Gain to be the clarifier so they could run it with a power mic. I think your front panel is cleaner than this one was when I got it. No CW McCall tag on this one, either.

Anyways, cool score on a radio with a lot of potential.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated