• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A Dipole for your CB Base Station?

I actually have been using dipoles for the last couple of years due to restrictions on antennas in the locations where I lived.

While it's easy to construct a dipole I was impressed with the quality of the Radiowavz antenna.

I also am currently trying out a Sirio dipole antenna that can be mounted vertically or horizontally. Sirio D-27 Dipole Review

another great review . thanks CBRM .
by the by , how long is the support arm/mast the comes with the antenna ?

Well there ya go Ron. This can certainly be done but you're going to have to come up with a way to create a ridgid, yet non-resonant mount to attach a pipe-style vertical dipole to.

good luck bud

interview.gif

The overall length of a folded dipole is exactly the same as that of a conventional dipole. Difference is that the folded dipole requires a balun if you're feeding it with coax because its feedpoint impedance will be somewhere in the vicinity of 300 ohms.

Happily, most TV "twinlead" is 300 ohm stuff. Run the twinlead straight from the tuner, or run 75 ohm coax to a 4:1 Balun, with twinlead the rest of the way and you're good to go.

I guess what I'm wanting to maybe do is to shorten the straight length and make a "J" out of the ends say like 6 ft straight and "J" the remaining 3ft on each end. This would use PVC tubeing with a wire inside. In this configuation it would take up less height if it would work.

Attachments

• Modded dipole.bmp
    325.8 KB · Views: 57
What about a Skywire Loop for the 11 meter band?

Is this feasible?

If so, how would I set it up to get a vertical signal orientation?

Thnx,
Charles

Experiment! Do a little studying on antennas and try whatever sounds like it might work. With something like the MFJ-259B, it's so much easier today than it was 50 years ago (and yes, I was experimenting with antennas 50 years ago).

Is it feasible? Yes. There are a couple of ways to get a vertical polarization from a loop. One way is to hang it vertically. Another way is to make it horizontal with a rectangular shape, square-ish, and feed it in one corner. Either way, if you're going to feed it with coax, use a 4:1 balun. A loop's input impedance is something like 150 - 200 ohms, give or take some. That'll get you in the 'ball park'.
- 'Doc

if i wanted to make a dipole easy, couldnt i just get 2 pieces of RG58 (with a PL259 on the end) 8-9' long and connect then into a 'T' conector and run another piece of coax from the T to the radio? this would aleviate the wire stripping and soldering but I dont know if it would work. Sounds very easy though.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.