• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A happy medium , SWR , Watt meter recommendations?

Most of the ones mentioned above are accurate enough but not scientific. If you want that, go with a Bird43 and you'll need different slugs for different power levels.

The cross needle meters used for Amateur frequencies I'm aware of are selectable peak reading and require 12v to operate the power meter circuit. The CB types like the Dosey and Astatic only require 12v for the meter light so I question their peak reading capability and accuracy.

What do you think of the Daiwa's was thinking Daiwa 501 . Did you say that the 12v input is needed to measure PEP on these meters?
Also, should one pony up the cash and get one with a built in tuner or not?
Cheers

Both my Ameritron and Palstar PM2000AM meters require 12v to operate the power meter circuitry . My Palstar does have a peak hold function.

A tuner with a meter is nice, however many tuner meters only read Avg. power since that works best for tuning.

Here is a quote explaining,

Actually, there are "true peak" reading wattmeters available, but the Daiwa is not one of them. Daiwa has a "PEP" position on its function switch, but has absolutely no peak monitoring circuitry of any kind, as pointed out quite clearly in the QST product review on wattmeters they did in 2002.

To measure and indicate "PEP," it takes a peak sample-and-hold circuit, which requires active electronic circuitry -- and that means the meter would have to plug into a source of external power, either a battery or a power supply. It cannot be powered by the RF signal it samples, because the circuit must be active even before any RF power is applied

I really liked the first awm-35 I had. Unfortunately it was damaged when I redid the shack a year or two ago and the second one was a dud. The second one had a different PCB design and had issues in the legal limit neighborhood where the old one did not. The back light started flickering and the meter stopped working at one point. A friend bought one for his truck and had similar issues.

I have a palstar 2000am in the mobile that's been good to me for the last 6 or 7 years. It is scaled about the same as the awm 35. With only a 300 and 3000 watt scale it is not ideal for testing low power radios if you ever need to. Ameritron / MFJ are hit or miss in the quality dept.

Both my Ameritron and Palstar PM2000AM meters require 12v to operate the power meter circuitry . My Palstar does have a peak hold function.

A tuner with a meter is nice, however many tuner meters only read Avg. power since that works best for tuning.

Here is a quote explaining,

Actually, there are "true peak" reading wattmeters available, but the Daiwa is not one of them. Daiwa has a "PEP" position on its function switch, but has absolutely no peak monitoring circuitry of any kind, as pointed out quite clearly in the QST product review on wattmeters they did in 2002.

To measure and indicate "PEP," it takes a peak sample-and-hold circuit, which requires active electronic circuitry -- and that means the meter would have to plug into a source of external power, either a battery or a power supply. It cannot be powered by the RF signal it samples, because the circuit must be active even before any RF power is applied

Thanks, so the Workman 201S I was showing and using earlier to measure deadkey and pep was not a true peak reader? Its faulty now ( needle sticks and shows half of wattage it used to ), hence returning it. I think the DC input was only for back light.

Thanks, so the Workman 201S I was showing and using earlier to measure deadkey and pep was not a true peak reader? Its faulty now ( needle sticks and shows half of wattage it used to ), hence returning it. I think the DC input was only for back light.
At the risk of starting another argument with the status quo, I believe what I've learned about peak reading meters needing 12v for PEP.

Those Workman meters are CB type and the 12v is for the light. If that wasn't the case, the needle wouldn't move without external power.

My 2 Ameritron AWM35BH works fine and you've seen it on a video on another thread. I also have a Palstar PM2000AM. Both of these require 12v power for the PEP readings and light.

Both of these also use remote sensors giving the ultimate of convenience for desktop or mobile placement.

543Dallas is correct on the Palstar, it isn't a meter for low power under 50 watts. It's a 300/3000 scale. The Ameritrons have 300/3000 and 100/1000 versions,

Google search them to learn more.

By the way, I will post a new video later tonight with my 2970 and power meter into a dummy load so you can see the reasonably accurate power settings I made.

Reactions: Limeybastard
Was hoping for a little input from you forum vets. I am currently looking at buying a SWR , Watt meter on a budget, any recommendations? Originally wanted a SWR Watt and Mod meter, but after reading reviews of a few in my price range that idea took a dump. Then I started researching Dosy for watt and swr meters, that also took a dump, again for being very innacurate. I can live with 10% plus or minus.

My current Amazon Workforce SWR watt meter took a dump, luckily it was within its 30 day return window. So on the prowl for something to show me a relative acurate SWR and W readings. Ideally Id opt for an LP100A, but cannot justify $500 price tag.

Cheers.
Autek WM 1. Three settings 0-20, 0-200, and 0-2000.
No need for swr calibration, separate (large) swr, power windows and a remote in/out pl 259 on a robust 5' cord. A true pep reading meter. Dawia's are good if you need to have something new. But those cross needles drive me crazy. Never liked them never will. The two Autek WM1's I own (1 illuminated the other not) work excellent. The 15 year + ages mean little to me, and I'm sure the same goes for anyone who has the pleasure of owning and operating one. Don't let the age scare you away from taking it into consideration. Autek made some good radio related equipment but this was their masterpiece. It's a shame they don't make them anymore. If they did most other meter making companies wouldn't be doing so well as far as meter sales go.
I see them pop up on eBay fairly often. Depending on whether it's the illuminated model or not they usually sell for between 70 and $125. IMO worth every penny. One would be hard-pressed to find someone who owned one that didn't like it. PS. I just looked and saw this one. Which ever meter you go with enjoy it, and hobby. 73.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/172793342760

20170726_184802.jpg 20170726_184720.jpg 20170726_184802.jpg 20170726_184720.jpg

Last edited:
Autek WM 1. Three settings 0-20, 0-200, and 0-2000.
No need for swr calibration, separate (large) swr, power windows and a remote in/out pl 259 on a robust 5' cord. A true pep reading meter. Dawia's are good if you need to have something new. But those cross needles drive me crazy. Never liked them never will. The two Autek WM1's I own (1 illuminated the other not) work excellent. The 15 year + ages mean little to me, and I'm sure the same goes for anyone who has the pleasure of owning and operating one. Don't let the age scare you away from taking it into consideration. Autek made some good radio related equipment but this was their masterpiece. It's a shame they don't make them anymore. If they did most other meter making companies wouldn't be doing so well as far as meter sales go.
I see them pop up on eBay fairly often. Depending on whether it's the illuminated model or not they usually sell for between 70 and $125. IMO worth every penny. One would be hard-pressed to find someone who owned one that didn't like it. PS. I just looked and saw this one. Which ever meter you go with enjoy it, and hobby. 73.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/172793342760

View attachment 21284 View attachment 21285 View attachment 21284 View attachment 21285

Yeah, I think the dual needles would mess up my small brain further. Cheers.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.