• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A question im a bit confused

silent463

Aug 14, 2012
whats the best to look for in a radio like with the uhf/vhf/am/fm whats the difference and what do people talk the most on

Well..

Depends upon your Likes and or Needs.

Typically though in Both VHF / UHF
FM are used for Repeaters
SSB is used for simplex and or weak signal working.

Yet there are many other things you may or may not want.
Do you use CW (typical for weak signal stuff )
Are you into or want to be into the various Digital Modes.

Also..
Is it to be Hand Held, Car or Base use ?

Do you also want HF with it ?
What class license do you have ( or will have )

More info you give us.
Easier it is for others to help.

Is it to be Hand Held, Car or Base use ? - well it really doesnt matter not really picky when it comes to this

Do you also want HF with it ? - yes
What class license do you have ( or will have ) - ill be going up for my tech license

sorry im getting ready for work ugh lol long night ahead im running around the house trying to find my boots lol

Just some Info

More Input I need more Input.
As a general rule I would get a 2 meter/440 rig not that much more money butt more freq and modes as a rule. You should also find out if you would like to use D-Star,EchoLink or Wires-ii repeaters.
If you are going to be mobile? a Repeater Guide or Directory would be a wise purchase. a few more words of wisdom. Buy the best antenna with the best transmission cable you can afford. I always connect my power to the Battery,Than buy the most radio you think you will use in the next couple of years my thinking is to grow into your radio as your skills as a ham operator grow.Than you will not be stuck with a radio you no longer want. Good luck please ask questions of us and others in your growth as A Ham. 73's Tod KC9RKA Northern Illinois

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.