• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A very strange occurrence....

Allen B

762 Florida
Dec 20, 2020
I sometimes run JS8 call on 11m. A few times now I have shut down my radios (power supply disconnected from wall), but my SignaLink is still on. Yesterday I left for work and still received a whole bunch of 11m meter activity. A couple of weeks ago I had no radios on my desk and just the SignaLink was sitting there, it was on but the audio wasn't connected to anything and I still received some activity. After looking up the call-signs on pskreporter I find that they were on 20m. That's with absolutely no radio whatsoever! This is a repeatable thing, I will do it again today and post a screenshot later this afternoon of what I get today.

My question would have been, "Is it possible for a radio to somehow still decode or rectify a signal when off?" I would have though SSB would need a local oscillator running. But then what explains the SignaLink picking up 20m signals from half way across the country? None of this activity I see with no radio is local.

Very strange.

There's most likely a PN junction somewhere in the SignaLink acting as an RF detector. Since you say the audio side wasn't connected to anything when receiving the 20m signals then the USB cable or power cord is probably acting as an antenna. Could be both for all I know.

Maybe get some RFI suppression ferrites and run the various cables through them and see if that stops the mystery signals? Might work, might cost you a few bucks only to have the mystery deepen.

There's most likely a PN junction somewhere in the SignaLink acting as an RF detector. Since you say the audio side wasn't connected to anything when receiving the 20m signals then the USB cable or power cord is probably acting as an antenna. Could be both for all I know.

Maybe get some RFI suppression ferrites and run the various cables through them and see if that stops the mystery signals? Might work, might cost you a few bucks only to have the mystery deepen.
I actually do have ferrites on all the cables at the back of the SignaLink. So I guess now the mystery deepens.

• Wow
Reactions: Rwb

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated