• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Add an amp

Cheffdavid

Apr 19, 2013
When I put on my linear I know I have to turn my dead key to 2 to 3 wats what about my side band do I have to turn that down to the same
Thanks

SSB does not have a carrier (dead key) it's all modulated watts. Each amplifier has different input wattage requirements and limitations. What radio and amplifier are you planning on running?

First off, Before you let it rip What radio are you running and what amplifier? These 2 things are a huge factor in this. The problem is with some of todays radios runing Mosfets producing higher power "Letting it rip" could be catastrophic and start causing you money!!!

This could be a ticking timebomb because some of the radios nowdays are putting out 50-60 watts and more with some radios. 2 watts AM carrier or input with 20-30 watts forward swing and for SSB anywhere from 10-20 watts with most amplifiers but some amplifiers like the RM Italy (KLV) amps are rated at 10 watts input.

Keep in ind that if you keep most amplifiers at between 10-15 watts input on SSB they are cleaner accross the band and wont splatter RF and they sound way better being more clear on the receiving end and the little power you would be losing NOBODY is ever going to hear or miss.

Most importantly its all about running a clean signal and sounding good I know its just fabulous to see the power meter needle dash accross the display ut I would like to think that sounding good and not beating your equipment and making it last is the most important ;)

If anyone buys an Italy RM amp will slowely realize they made a poor decision, lol. Those amps are a waste of $$ and dont last very long.

If anyone buys an Italy RM amp will slowely realize they made a poor decision, lol. Those amps are a waste of $$ and dont last very long.

I have a klv500 base amp I have used since the early 2000's and it still works just fine and a kl203 behind a 2950 and it is the same way still running strong. maybe just the older ones were better.

Reactions: 2 people
I can't speak for the tube RM amplifiers. The smaller mobile amps they make are light duty and low drive for sure. In the example above with the 2950 & KL203, run a fan and keep the peak drive under 18 watts or it won't last.

Reactions: 1 person
I have a KLV 550 and have had it for several years, I have to put a new 6 position power selector in it because I was moving it and it dropped just a few inches on its face and I boke the power selector easy repair for a stupid misshap on my part. Otherwise it always worked I just didnt use it because I have other setups. I should justvtrade it for a mobile amplifier.

Their Ok amplifiers but you cannot pound the p!$$ out of them as stated above in my last reply. Thats fine with me because people only mess up the airways on any band if they over drive their amplifiers and I guess this is a sure way that they wont get stupid and polute the airways with splatter and horrible signals ;)

The KL203's can handle the 2950's, 257 (non-hp), cre 8900, no problem on SSB.

I don't expect to get 10 years out of them but you they should easily last 5 years.

I've run a 2950 at 35 watts SSB into a KL203 for years without issue, same with a 257, and currently running a CRE 8900 into a KL203 at 40+ watts on SSB with no problems.

The only time I've seen KL amps pop is when people run high AM deadkeys and I've heard more of this with the KL300 and the 1446's.

I'd say keep you input at 30-35 watts ssb into a KL203 and you shouldn't have any problems.

I don't know where people get all these "stories" of them failing. I've been using them for years without problem and so have others on the forum and I've heard very few people saying they've killed them. Not to mention for the price if one only does last you 5 years it easily pays for itself.

I have 4 pill amps and heavy duty equipment that sits in the closet because I've moved away from worrying about being the big dawg on the radio. These days I mostly run barefoot but I do keep the Kl203 available if I want to bump up over 100 watts.

I don't expect to get 10 years out of them but you they should easily last 5 years.

I've run a 2950 at 35 watts SSB into a KL203 for years without issue, same with a 257, and currently running a CRE 8900 into a KL203 at 40+ watts on SSB with no problems.

The only time I've seen KL amps pop is when people run high AM deadkeys and I've heard more of this with the KL300 and the 1446's.

I'd say keep you input at 30-35 watts ssb into a KL203 and you shouldn't have any problems.

I don't know where people get all these "stories" of them failing. I've been using them for years without problem and so have others on the forum and I've heard very few people saying they've killed them. Not to mention for the price if one only does last you 5 years it easily pays for itself.

I have 4 pill amps and heavy duty equipment that sits in the closet because I've moved away from worrying about being the big dawg on the radio. These days I mostly run barefoot but I do keep the Kl203 available if I want to bump up over 100 watts.
I hear enough of those who overdrive their amps and they sound awful. I wonder if the KL-203P would work okay. A preamp is essential out here in the sticks.

I hear enough of those who overdrive their amps and they sound awful. I wonder if the KL-203P would work okay. A preamp is essential out here in the sticks.

I've ordered a 2nd kl203p for my car. I've had one in my truck for about a year, but I don't beat it up. Running a wimpy 980 into it and adjusted the deadkey for a better 'swing' ratio. I haven't decided what Ima run into the other 203p in my car yet.

I've ordered a 2nd kl203p for my car. I've had one in my truck for about a year, but I don't beat it up. Running a wimpy 980 into it and adjusted the deadkey for a better 'swing' ratio. I haven't decided what Ima run into the other 203p in my car yet.

My 959 keys 1 watt lo and 4 watts high with good swing(DTB tuned) but I'm using it for a base station. I run the CRE-8900 in my mobile. I agree on not beating it up. I made a DX contact on the 959 recently using no amp. A KL-203P would be good for local talk and better my odds on making a DX contact.

I'm not sure of the output was on the 980 but when I paired one up with a KL203 I set the amp for a 20 watt deadkey and it would swing to 100 on AM. Good little combo and on SSB people said the Uniden sounded excellent.

I checked the RM web site, for the 203 they claim a 20 watt PEP max input. When I ran mine at 20-25 watts with moderate talking it would get hotter then a firecracker. This was on SSB. I added a fan and ran it with my Madison at 15-18 watts PEP and it was a great little amp for the money.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned