• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Added some goodies to my FT-950

KG0MN

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Mar 5, 2010
I sold an old boat anchor I had collecting dust and made enough money off of it to obtain some new goodies to go with my new FT-950. I first added the SP-2000 speaker from Yaseu. This is the filtered speaker that matches the radio very well and the filtering is what makes it far better than a normal speaker. Yet after getting it I found that the sound was not exactly like I had hope it to be so I did what I have done in the past and took the speaker apart and placed Acoustic foam behind the speaker to fill up the open cavity and wow what a difference that made in the sound. I would recommend it for any low-end speaker if you want a better sounding speaker. Since I had foam left over I did the same with the matching non-filtered speaker for my TS-2000 and once again I came away very happy with the results.

The next item I picked up is the RF Space IF-2000 board which mounts internally in the FT-950 and allows the IF to be taken outside the radio via a small diameter coax connector with a BNC fitting on it. The next item was the LP Pan Adapter which works in conjunction with IF-2000 allowing my to have a real honest to goodness SDR receiver with my FT-950.

Adding the two SDR items was only $300.00 and I think it is well worth the money, I have been using it with the FT-950 and I can now see what various function actually do when they are used such as the contour setting and the roofing filter. When you can see the effect on the screen it seems to be easier for me to understand that just reading about it. I will take some pictures tomorrow and show you what the screen looks as well as the gear.

Cool, let's see the pics! Also let us know what you think about using the Panadapter. That's on my list of wanted accessories for my station, too.

I am a bit late getting these posted but here goes

Here is the FT-950, TS-2000, LP Pan Adapter and Creative EMU-0202 sound device.

1.jpg

This is a close-up of the Creative EMU-0202 sound device.

2.jpg

Here you have the LP Pan Adapter and Yaseu SP-2000 Filtered Speaker

3.jpg

Here is a picture of PowerSDR-IF tuned to WWV @ 10Mhz and you can see it is right on the money

4.jpg

So forgive me but what are the advantages of the LP Pan adapter? I have the DMU. Not as impressed with it but it was basically tossed into the deal I got when I bought my 950.

I need to do some more reading on the pan adapter and since I just picked up the sp2000 get some foam to put in the case.

Thanks for posting. I know I love my 950. I felt I was taking off shooting muffs when I compared it's receive verses my 897

Without the Pan Adapter you would not see much other the IF frequency of the IF-2000 board which installs in the area reserved for the MTU. If you got the MTU tossed in with the 950 someone must have had a screw loose since the MTU retails for $1900.00 dollars and sells for $996.00.

Well I would like to think I got a deal, Go the 950, DMU and the 40/80 external filter for $1,400, Also had a keyboard and cheap monitor in the deal, no mike or box but I can live with out both.

I was excited to get the DMU because I really wanted the band scope, disappointed in the Log book, and really the other features.. seems that it would be a little further advanced.

I like the screen shots for your set up and thinking of going that way and selling the DMU ?

thanks for the information

Pillow and Blanket batting that you can by at fabric and craft stores works well too. It is made from a polester material and it looks like cotton candy you can use as little or as much as you like. It can be pulled apart so that it takes up more air space with out much dampening or you can pack in as tight as you like for more damping. It is an old school tuning trick used in car audio box's to tune for Q issues with the enclosure.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.